Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a subject

Options
  • 31-08-2018 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭

I am qualified to teach a core and non core subject and am thinking of adding another subject like a foreign language. I did French for first year in college and am thinking of that or else taking up Spanish.Would Spanish be a good choice or would French be better any thoughts on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Blaizes wrote: »
    I am qualified to teach a core and non core subject and am thinking of adding another subject like a foreign language. I did French for first year in college and am thinking of that or else taking up Spanish.Would Spanish be a good choice or would French be better any thoughts on this.

This year French had 15.5k compared with Spanish 5K. Maybe look at previous numbers and see if there's a growing trend towards Spanish (there appears to be in our school anyway). https://www.examinations.ie/statistics/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

To the best of my knowledge there is a Teaching Council requirement that you have spent 3 months in a French/Spanish speaking country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Thanks for the replies guys.Yes there is a lot to consider which subject is more popular now ( but of course all that can change and it could be Chinese or something else in a few years) and of course the three months in another country.Just keep hearing about a shortage of language teachers but I would have always thought there were plenty of French teachers out there.I just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Why do you want to add a subject? Do you want to be more 'employable' or have you an interest?

This is just an observation that I might pass on and I'm not trying to generalise, but is worth noting:

If you (any teacher not the OP personally) interview poorly, for example, or have other issues with classes, adding a subject won't help to secure a job.

Getting some interview advice, or advice on how to address whatever might be preventing you landing the full time contract would be time and money better spent.

The above along with spending time on an application form so that it's not rubbish might get someone closer to a job than adding a subject that you might hate teaching.

Again this is not directed at the OP. Having 50 qualified subjects is no good if the basics aren't coming across right.

Feel free to jump all over me now....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Why do you want to add a subject? Do you want to be more 'employable' or have you an interest?

This is just an observation that I might pass on and I'm not trying to generalise, but is worth noting:

If you (any teacher not the OP personally) interview poorly, for example, or have other issues with classes, adding a subject won't help to secure a job.

Getting some interview advice, or advice on how to address whatever might be preventing you landing the full time contract would be time and money better spent.

The above along with spending time on an application form so that it's not rubbish might get someone closer to a job than adding a subject that you might hate teaching.

Again this is not directed at the OP. Having 50 qualified subjects is no good if the basics aren't coming across right.

Feel free to jump all over me now....

No problem good points. Would like to do a language out of interest and also to be more employable.I do think having more subjects makes a candidate more appealing to schools and widens the field.That said I take your point about having lots of subjects and still messing up at interviews.Think there is an element of luck to interviews as well though and some jobs have to be re advertised even though a teacher has already worked with the school the previous year so will be more inclined to be reappointed.Have seen this at interviews and practically been told by an interview board member at the end of one interview that this was the case.

But still some subjects are being downgraded now and new stuff coming on stream Stem, IT etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement