Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions - 2 weeks solo trip destination

Options
  • 31-08-2018 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭

As per the thread title, I'm looking for some destinations for a early 40's male solo traveller.

I'm looking for somewhere hopefully as a base for exploring a main town/city and then some day trips elsewhere.

Might even consider a few days away out for a change in the middle of it as 2 weeks can be a long time in a single place.

Interested in most things - not big into pubs/clubs/shopping. Like culture, ambling about, people watching, hiking, biking, chilling out, scenery etc.

Any suggestions welcome.

Planning to go in Oct/Nov time. Would like to go somewhere dry (sun not essential!).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Palma or Porte Pollenca as a base to explore the island of Mallorca
    Short flight. Good weather. Lots of old roman roads off the beaten track. Good cycling and nice swimming.
    Local areas are magical for finding a nice restaurant also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I would go to the South of France.
    One week in Nice and one week in Avignon; both are train hubs, so can visit lots of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I was actually thinking of Lisbon. Could you manage 2 weeks in that region?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Well, I was in Lisbon for a full week and certainly did not get bored, what a great city !
    Did two day trips: Cascais on the coast; Sintra.
    And one half-day trip: Mafra (to see the palace there).

You could spend a week in Lisbon and possibly for the second week move either North (Porto) or South (Algarve) ? I have not been to either yet, am sure that someone here has and can advise you.

Advertisement