Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career change, looking for some advice

Options
  • 31-08-2018 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Evening all, how's it going?

I'll try and keep this very long story as short as I can. After 17 years of working in kitchens of every size and at every level, I decided on a bit of a career change and went on a month-long arborist course last November. I've got my CS30/31, CS38, CS39, and tickets for wood chipper and stump grinder. However, I've been a full-time dad for the last year and a half now (best job in the world), and I've only had two days of practical work experience.
    Just for a bit of background... I'm English and my wife is from Sligo, but we've lived in France for the last decade. We moved here to Sligo a few weeks ago to raise our family.

I'm just looking for any advice that might help me get a start in the industry. I know that the best way to learn any job is to start at the bottom and work your way up, so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to some groundie work for a while. I've got a brain between my ears, I can put the hours in and I know the meaning of hard work, as 16 hour days for a few months on the trot are what I've been used to in the past.

Hugely grateful for any information and opinions! What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Cheers all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BogBoy84

Have you considered maybe working at a fuel depot working the splitter and cutting timber? That way, you can get to know where they buy their wood from and built up a database of people who are working in that industry?
    I know this is starting at the VERY bottom and the pay might not be great.

Another thing you could try is a tree surgeon or garden landscaping company, to be honest the hardest part of a career change like that is getting the practical experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

peds wrote: »
    Evening all, how's it going?

I'll try and keep this very long story as short as I can. After 17 years of working in kitchens of every size and at every level, I decided on a bit of a career change and went on a month-long arborist course last November. I've got my CS30/31, CS38, CS39, and tickets for wood chipper and stump grinder. However, I've been a full-time dad for the last year and a half now (best job in the world), and I've only had two days of practical work experience.
    Just for a bit of background... I'm English and my wife is from Sligo, but we've lived in France for the last decade. We moved here to Sligo a few weeks ago to raise our family.

I'm just looking for any advice that might help me get a start in the industry. I know that the best way to learn any job is to start at the bottom and work your way up, so I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to some groundie work for a while. I've got a brain between my ears, I can put the hours in and I know the meaning of hard work, as 16 hour days for a few months on the trot are what I've been used to in the past.

Hugely grateful for any information and opinions! What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Cheers all.

There are some very good short courses at Ballyhaise Ag college covering various different forest operations.

Working on the ground in forestry with a chainsaw is well paid but risky hard work.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 19 peds

Huge thanks for the replies dudes, I actually found work no bother after a trial day with a local arborist. Looking forward to learning the new trade!
    Cheers all, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BogBoy84

Congratulations and best of luck in your new journey!

Advertisement