Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann Through Ticketing on Leap

Options
  • 31-08-2018 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

If I board certain Bus Eireann services, I can buy one through paper ticket to certain places which involve a change of bus.

For example, on the 100X from Dundalk to Dublin, I can purchase a paper ticket to Navan for €15, which allows me to change onto the 190 at Drogheda.

The same through tickets are available (in that the fares exist) on a Leap card - a single from Dundalk to Navan is €10.50 for example.

Would that single ticket be recognised by the ticket machine in Drogheda, or would I be at the mercy of the driver believing I did indeed buy a ticket to Navan? You can use a Leap card on the 190 for ordinary single fares.

Note, I am not talking about the zonal fares, these are single through fares

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

You can't use leap cards on expressway services

So no you cannot use the leap card on the 100x

It however you use 2 PSO routes to get to your destination with leap card you can pay for the full trip on the first bus but the second driver will have to view your transaction history to confirm but be sure to ask for this because if you put the card on the machine, it will allow for a fare to be taken as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

You can't use leap cards on expressway services

So no you cannot use the leap card on the 100x

You can use the Leap Card on the 100X - I have done so plenty of times. I believe it's the only Expressway service that does accept it.

See here: http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=234
    It however you use 2 PSO routes to get to your destination with leap card you can pay for the full trip on the first bus but the second driver will have to view your transaction history to confirm but be sure to ask for this because if you put the card on the machine, it will allow for a fare to be taken as normal

Will the driver be able to see the actual ticket purchased, as in the origin and destination?

All the online transaction history shows is the time/date, mode of transport and price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

danm14 wrote: »
    You can use the Leap Card on the 100X - I have done so plenty of times. I believe it's the only Expressway service that does accept it.

See here: http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=234

Will the driver be able to see the actual ticket purchased, where it was from and to? Online all you can see is the price.

I'm going to go ahead and say that list is wrong / not up to date

Many routes missing from it such as 190, 133, navan / Drogheda town services and some more I'm probably not aware of right now

The reason expressway does not accept leap card is because the NTA does not have an agreement to pay the company for accepting them. I.e I take 15euro from a leap card in cork to go to Dublin. The company will not get a cent of it.

It is a blanket thing across all of expressway. I find it hard to believe they let one route in on it when it's a route that has decent enough competition from Irish rail and Matthews.ie etc

There's an awful lot of new drivers that think we accept leap card everywhere and they are wrong.

Same story on the like of the 22/23 routes that serve Mullingar, you cannot come on those routes with a 24hour zone ticket for Mullingar. You have to use the 115.

That 100x thing doesn't sit right though. You either accept leap card everywhere or you don't at all for that company (expressway) and I'm more inclined to say it doesn't because that's what we've been thought in training and from management separately.

In regards viewing the ticket, the machine will read the card when they go into the option for it and it'll show the type of product purchased with location, date and time , in the case of s single ticket, it should show destination and also how much was taken from the card

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

I'm going to go ahead and say that list is wrong / not up to date

Many routes missing from it such as 190, 133, navan / Drogheda town services and some more I'm probably not aware of right now

Yes, plenty of routes missing. You can see from the Internet Archive that the bottom half of the list (apart from the 163 for some reason) disappeared when the fares were changed last December, but the fares still exist and the cards are still accepted.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171104001611/http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=234
    The reason expressway does not accept leap card is because the NTA does not have an agreement to pay the company for accepting them. I.e I take 15euro from a leap card in cork to go to Dublin. The company will not get a cent of it.

It is a blanket thing across all of expressway. I find it hard to believe they let one route in on it when it's a route that has decent enough competition from Irish rail and Matthews.ie etc

There's an awful lot of new drivers that think we accept leap card everywhere and they are wrong.

Same story on the like of the 22/23 routes that serve Mullingar, you cannot come on those routes with a 24hour zone ticket for Mullingar. You have to use the 115.

That 100x thing doesn't sit right though. You either accept leap card everywhere or you don't at all for that company (expressway) and I'm more inclined to say it doesn't because that's what we've been thought in training and from management separately.

I have used a Leap Card on the 100X myself, enough times and with enough different drivers to know that it's accepted. I've never once had it refused, and the fares exist with the same 30% discount as on PSO routes.

Both Bus Eireann's website and Dundalk Bus Station also say it's accepted. Drivers of hired-in coaches with old non-Leap ticket machines on the 100X are even told not to charge Leap card holders.
    In regards viewing the ticket, the machine will read the card when they go into the option for it and it'll show the type of product purchased with location, date and time , in the case of s single ticket, it should show destination and also how much was taken from the card

Good to know, at least I'm not at the mercy of a driver deciding whether or not I'd bought a ticket.

Advertisement