Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engine cutting out

Options
  • 31-08-2018 9:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭

So, my moped has developed an issue and i'm unsure if it is small or big.

When accelerating along the power suddenly dies.

It is fitted with a manual choke, which I need to open to keep it running, once I close the choke and move along after about 10 seconds the engine cuts out.

Any advice appreciated.

MBK Nitro with the Yamaha YQ50 engine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Maybe fuel starvation?

Check the fuel hose for kinks. Check fuel filter (if there is one). Also check the fuel tap (may have a gauze filter in the bowl which can get gunked up).

Also check the air filter.

Next would be the carburettor...

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Check air breather into tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Esel wrote: »

Next would be the carburettor...

I'd say it's the carb.

... or you need to let it run on the choke a little longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Thanks for the replies guys.

Long story short, the problem only began after I took out the airbox to clean all the gunk in behind it and inside the bellypan.

While I thought I might have obstructed an airway or something like that I actually haven, as I went over it several times just to make sure.

The airbreather pipe from the engine to the airbox has slipped off though and when running it sounds loud.

Probably is the carb i'd say as she was idle for several years before I got it and I've only has to fill the tank once in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Definitely sounds like the carb. Take it off and clean it all out with carb cleaner

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Definitely sounds like the carb. Take it off and clean it all out with carb cleaner

Complete novice at bike mechanics :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Its easy enough, plenty of YouTube videos to help ya out! No better way to learn how to do the basics than getting stuck in

aaakev wrote: »
    Its easy enough, plenty of YouTube videos to help ya out! No better way to learn how to do the basics than getting stuck in

When I copy and paste the link it shows up as invalid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Oh fuel injection, how much I love you.

Clean your carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Complete novice at bike mechanics :o

Then a carb strip and clean is probably not the place to start your apprenticeship.
    But removing the carb and the float bowl only for a clean may be do-able, if you have a few tools. Just remember it's soft alloy and don't overtighten any screws - and don't go poking around in the jets with a piece of wire.

Fixing a similar problem I discovered the flimsy rubber inlet manifold was split so check that too.

• Advertisement

Then a carb strip and clean is probably not the place to start your apprenticeship.
    But removing the carb and the float bowl only for a clean may be do-able, if you have a few tools. Just remember it's soft alloy and don't overtighten any screws - and don't go poking around in the jets with a piece of wire.

Fixing a similar problem I discovered the flimsy rubber inlet manifold was split so check that too.

I'd better get researching on google then :pac:

Advertisement