Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance to college and working at the same time is a struggle - what to do????

Options
  • 31-08-2018 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Sorry for the long post - I have posted this question a few minutes ago but would like to get more answers I have added more detail is well... So just wondering if anybody can give me ANY information at all on my promblem - so basically the story is I have finished a PLC course in Limerick City and have received a place at LIT and have accepted my course for social care work..however, during the summer things have changed and opportunities have came along for me, I was offered a job out in a nursing home out in Askeaton which is 24km from the college ! When currently it would have been only a five min bus trip from my parents house. I have already had the interview and my Garda vetting has came back already and I have yet to fill it out - I get to move in with my old college friend who will be working in the nursing home with me too, I would still love love to do college but I keep thinking I am being unrealistic , I will be working an average of 20 hours a week - so not full time but my friend said my hours could/will increase overtime.. the bus from asketon leaves in the morning at 7:35 I was thinking I could come in to college whenever I get the chance to but I will obviously miss a few days is well because of work and no the boss will not work around my college hours, I have already told him I wasn’t going to go to college this year when now I am having second thoughts. I was talking to a woman and she said I could always drop out and they will save my place for next year but it will have to be done properly and I will need to fill out a deferral form , sorry if this is all confusing and over the place but I hope someone can help me in what I should do - I will be getting the SUSIE grant too but not much because they have taken my parents house into account and will not leave me change my now new current address , I have applied to boi awhile ago for a student credit card so I will be able to pay for my transport. I’ve heard that the LIT college is easy going on your attendance, in LCFE last year when I was doing a PLC I know they were strict on attendance. My college is being paid for by SUSIE they pay my tution fees and I also will get a maintenance grant of possibly 135 euro a month. I'm just wondering how I will be able to pay for transport to and from college - it is going to cost me 50 euro for a weekly pass, there is no way SUSIE would cover the costs of that, hence why I want to get a student credit card just to pay for my transsport fees and not to blaguard it. I am living approx 24km from the college and SUSIE cannot do anything for me regardless of my address because they are taking into account my legal guardians address which is 3km from the college! I don' think I could get another job because I have already moved some of my belongings into my friends house and the nursing home is waiting for me to start soon when I start the job I will be moving in with my friend, I have received my Garda vetting today in my e-mail but have not went through with my application yet because I am afraid they will want me to start straight away and I don't want to yet because I have my induction for college this Tuesday and I do not want to miss that because you have to go to that! I will contact them tomorrow regarding online courses, but I had a search up on it and I'm full sure they do not offer an online course for the course I have chosen. I wish I could do college at night but it could still interfere with work! Some days my friend works 8am until 8pm that would be a whole day of me missing college , just so stuck right now .. wouldn't it be rude of me to turn down the job when I have been offered it and have told my boss at the start that I have choose not to go to college when now I am having second thoughts - I really am trying to juggle things right now I know it could be possible but it would be very stressful with all the travelling and financially.. My plan was to work for a year and go to college next year, but this year I want to just try and do my first year even if it means I won't be in most of the times and next year my 2nd year knuckle down and get my work done, I don't want to waste a year and have to start all over again next year. I know work is sometimes always the easier option but I know a qualification stands with you for life. Cheers thanks a lot :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

Go to college, live at home and get a part time job somewhere close. Nursing home jobs are tough, easy to get if you change your mind and really it's not that good of an opportunity to give up on college!!

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rainemac

The stage your at with Garda Vetting sounds like it'll be another 6 weeks on average before its returned so you shouldn't be allowed to start until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Depends what you want for your future. If you want to work in minimum pay, hard work with little opportunity then take the job. I know the appeal of being close to home, living with your friend and earning money is appealing now, but what about long term.
    Having your college degree will open up so much more for you long term. The chance to earn a higher salary, in a more comfortable job with plenty of options available including travel. Career progression or change once you have that degree. So I would definitely go to college now and everything else will fall into place. You will find another part time job while studying. It will be worth it in the long run.

Advertisement