Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My car passed the NCT....

Options
  • 31-08-2018 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

..but the car's in bits??
    I put the car through the NCT knowing it would fail, I usually do, that way you know what to fix for the retest.
    Anyway, dropped the car in yesterday at 5.50 as booked, got called in 20 mins later (very fast compared to previous tests!!) to say it just needs new wiper blades, just need to go back for a visual. :eek:

I'm aware most people would be delighted but the tyres have visible cracks and a mechanic friend told me the fanbelt needs to be changed among several other things, and they specifically have to check the tyre condition AS WELL AS tread depth.

I'm happy to have a full nct for the year but I had planned on seeeling the car "as is" with the full nct, if I do it now I'll feel like a con..

Can anyone give me any advice what to do here? Call me mad but I kind of want to raise this with the NCT centre..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

And what exactly is the problem?? Your car has passed buy a couple of tyres and a set of wiper blades and you'll be all set for the winter conditions.... Happy motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I'd get new tyres. Doesn't matter if you have an NCT or not you admit that the tyres are damaged and yet you continue to drive on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,161 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Oops! wrote: »
    And what exactly is the problem?? Your car has passed buy a couple of tyres and a set of wiper blades and you'll be all set for the winter conditions.... Happy motoring.

a car they feel is not roadworthy has been declared roadworthy - with the implication being the testers didn't do their job.

That is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Did you leave a €50 in the ashtray by any chance? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

BekkiFae wrote: »
    ..but the car's in bits??
    I put the car through the NCT knowing it would fail, I usually do, that way you know what to fix for the retest.
    Anyway, dropped the car in yesterday at 5.50 as booked, got called in 20 mins later (very fast compared to previous tests!!) to say it just needs new wiper blades, just need to go back for a visual. :eek:

I'm aware most people would be delighted but the tyres have visible cracks and a mechanic friend told me the fanbelt needs to be changed among several other things, and they specifically have to check the tyre condition AS WELL AS tread depth.

I'm happy to have a full nct for the year but I had planned on seeeling the car "as is" with the full nct, if I do it now I'll feel like a con..

Can anyone give me any advice what to do here? Call me mad but I kind of want to raise this with the NCT centre..

You are happy to drive around in a car you believe to be dangerous and defective without rectifying the problems yet the issue is with the nct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 BekkiFae

I never said I was driving the car, I planned to sell it, & I still will (with full disclosure obviously because otherwise I'd feel like a crook!!) I just want to see if a passed test on an unsafe vehicle is something I should report?

LOL!! I may actually check because I did have emergency cash in the ashtray ages ago, I'll see if it's still there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

If you catch them at certain times visual inspection items can get overlooked, someone I know had a similar experience for a non functioning wing mirror repeater and something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It depends on the tester. I once failed on a few small things but missed the retest time due to mechanic being slow so put it through another full test and failed on more stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This is what they test
    http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/NCT/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20JULY%202014.pdf
    (a). Evidence of recutting of tread pattern where tyre is not suitable for recutting.
    (b). Tyre is regrooved so that cord protection layer is affected.
    (c). Incorrectly seated on wheel rim.
    (d). Any serious damage to the tyre or a cut in tyre that is longer than 25mm or 10% of section width (whichever is shorter)
    (e). A tyre is damaged that the cord is visible or damaged.
    (f). Rupture in or exposure of ply or cord structure, tread lifting, lump or bulge caused by separation of rubber from cords or weakness in cord structure, or tread distorted or damaged.
    (g). Tyre rubbing against other components (flexible anti-spray devices).
    (h). Tyre rubbing against other components (safe driving not impaired).
    (i). Tyre(s) obviously underinflated.

Apparently the tester didn't think the tyres were that bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fan belts and other mechanical items don’t get checked.

Just safety features like suspension , steering columns , brakes etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, I think you should march back down there and demand they fail it. You can then come back and update this thread by telling us the NCT is just a money making racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

The most important question....which nct centre was this so we know where to book?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

kona wrote: »
    The most important question....which nct centre was this so we know where to book?

Asking for a friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

I actually bye chance :D had a 50 euro note in my car during a nct test and ended up with quite a fail list at the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

What to do? Preventative maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

@ OP

FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The sooner the nct becomes stricter the better

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BekkiFae

It depends on the tester. I once failed on a few small things but missed the retest time due to mechanic being slow so put it through another full test and failed on more stuff...

This also happened to me, but the retest for this time is only a visual, so they can't actually get me on anything else when I go back.

I've dropped the car into a trusted recommended mechanic; explained the nct, previous mechanic's advice and my worries. See what he says tomorrow, could be my first mechanic was trying to make a few extra quid off me..

As for my emergency toll money, still safely stashed in the ashtray :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Best thing to do is go back to the NCT and give them back your certificate and disc, tell them your car doesn't deserve it and spend all your money getting it fixed and put it through again. You can live on porridge but you know you did the right thing by shafting yourself because honesty is best policy, if you believe in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

My old car passed the NCT last year, despite having a red warning light that read “STOP OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW” on the dash.

The light came on no matter how often the oil was changed and / or topped up and several mechanics couldn’t work out why this was happening.

I live an hour from the NCT centre and long drives used to make the warning come up more frequently.

Long story short I was five mins late to the test so was driving pretty fast and the light was coming up every minute or so. I parked outside, handed them the keys and somehow they didn’t fail me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭JustShay

MaccaTacca wrote: »
    My old car passed the NCT last year, despite having a red warning light that read “STOP OIL PRESSURE TOO LOW” on the dash.

The light came on no matter how often the oil was changed and / or topped up and several mechanics couldn’t work out why this was happening.

I live an hour from the NCT centre and long drives used to make the warning come up more frequently.

Long story short I was five mins late to the test so was driving pretty fast and the light was coming up every minute or so. I parked outside, handed them the keys and somehow they didn’t fail me.

Sounds like an electric fault. Your mechanics were obviously lacking electric knowledge of your car.

My issue similar to this was, beeping warnings saying, faulty light, handbrake...etc Everything was working. My experienced mechanic knew exactly to open the rear light where a few wires existed, and he fiddled around with them / reattached them, and the warnings were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MaccaTacca

JustShay wrote: »
    Sounds like an electric fault. Your mechanics were obviously lacking electric knowledge of your car.

My issue similar to this was, beeping warnings saying, faulty light, handbrake...etc Everything was working. My experienced mechanic knew exactly to open the rear light where a few wires existed, and he fiddled around with them / reattached them, and the warnings were gone.

I used to think it was an electrical fault, but the car ended up breaking down with engine and oil filter problems a few months later.

I’m just shocked I passed considering the warning said “STOP”, I assumed they’d just cancel the test upon seeing a sign that said not to drive the car.

The car has been scrapped since - just a year and a half after passing.

Never buy a Peugeot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The oil pressure light being on while running should be a "major defect", but not a "failed dangerous" defect. They failed to perform the preliminary checks for the emissions test by ignoring the oil pressure warning, but in all fairness the NCT test details are all readily available online so you could have known that this can be a failure item.

Also, if it was a diesel, you would have signed a waiver saying they will not accept responsibility for any engine damage caused by the emissions tests.

At the end of the day, the visual aspects of the tests are performed by humans and nobody's perfect. If the test was more meticulous it would certainly take longer and cost more.

Advertisement