Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the best quote - ring everyone?

Options
  • 31-08-2018 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Whats the best way to get a quote - it's complicated!

Do folks ring around all the insurance companies (a fair few listed here)
    and go through the same spiel each time or is there an easier way ie through a broker -
    and whats the difference?
    (online quotes just seem ridiculous)
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yes, best to call everyone on the list in the stickied thread at the top of this forum and see which has the best quote.

Some insurance companies won't insure you or give you a huge quote because they don't want to insure your risk profile, i.e Liberty Insurance won't insure anyone under 30 on the likes of a Golf GTI even if they had a clean license for 10 years but they'll insure a 30 year old with no experience on the same car.

In general different companies give different quotes to different drivers even if you have plenty of no claims. Even if you get a good quote it's best to check the whole list.

Other things such as adding an experienced driver to a policy may reduce costs as well as multi policy discounts. I spent €100 on contents insurance to save about €250 on my car insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Do people in OP's situation do any better by getting a broker to seek motor insurance ?

Put another way, do insurers look more favourably on a request for cover from certain brokers as distinct from a member of the public seeking to deal directly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Crowirl

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Yes, best to call everyone on the list in the stickied thread at the top of this forum and see which has the best quote.

Some insurance companies won't insure you or give you a huge quote because they don't want to insure your risk profile, i.e Liberty Insurance won't insure anyone under 30 on the likes of a Golf GTI even if they had a clean license for 10 years but they'll insure a 30 year old with no experience on the same car.

In general different companies give different quotes to different drivers even if you have plenty of no claims. Even if you get a good quote it's best to check the whole list.

Other things such as adding an experienced driver to a policy may reduce costs as well as multi policy discounts. I spent €100 on contents insurance to save about €250 on my car insurance.
    Not exactly true. I'm with Liberty since I was 28 and they were significantly cheaper than the competition for a 2 litre turbo diesel BMW (fairly old too). But your point about different demographics per insurer is right, just wanted to say don't rule out Liberty :)

Advertisement