Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused.

Options
  • 30-08-2018 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Something been bothering me about the sequence whilst performing manoeuvres on a motorbike.
    which is it?
    mirror
    signal
    lifesaver
    position
    speed
    lifesaver
    turn

or
    Mirror

lifesaver
    signal
    etc?
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Mirror
    Signal
    Lifesaver

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Something been bothering me about the sequence whilst performing manoeuvres on a motorbike.
    which is it?
    mirror
    signal
    lifesaver
    position
    speed
    lifesaver
    turn
    Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

zubair wrote: »
    Correct.

My instructor tells me its mirror- lifesaver- signal so im as confused as ever. His learners have an impressive pass rate too. Does it even matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I was also thought mirror - saver - signal. Instructors pass rate seems good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Cian_ok

I was also thought mirror - saver - signal. Instructors pass rate seems good too.

MILF

Mirror - check there is nothing behind you where you want to go
    Indicator - let them know you intend to move
    Lifesaver - check your blind spot
    F-ing move - (if safe) MOVE before the space is lost to another road user

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Cian_ok wrote: »
    MILF

Mirror - check there is nothing behind you where you want to go
    Indicator - let them know you intend to move
    Lifesaver - check your blind spot
    F-ing move - (if safe) MOVE before the space is lost to another road user

That's an amazing acronym !!

I approve of this Milf system.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Always
    1. Observation. This includes mirrors then check the blind spot.
    2. Signal intent. This is done after Observation in case anyone or anything is in the blind spot and you cause them to brake or swerve.
    3.Position
    4. Second shoulder check (lifesaver) before steering if turning after position change.

This is the correct procedure but for some reason it varies from test centre to test centre so some instructors conform to the examiners in their area. Wrong to do I know but if they didnt you wouldn't pass

Roadskill wrote: »
    Always
    2. Signal intent. This is done after Observation in case anyone or anything is in the blind spot and you cause them to brake or swerve.
    3.Position
    4. Second shoulder check (lifesaver) before steering if turning after position change.

This is the correct procedure but for some reason it varies from test centre to test centre so some instructors conform to the examiners in their area. Wrong to do I know but if they didnt you wouldn't pass

That's the way I've been taught, maybe this page from the book might shed some light on the subject.
    The picture shows the blindspot check before the signal.

2rp743o.jpg

Roadskill wrote: »
    Always
    3.Position

Well I took test Wednesday and stuck to the way I learned. ( Exactly as roadskill posted here) and passed with 2 grade 2 and 1 minor none for observations at all. Terrible weather conditions , test was cancelled I had a chat with tester to see if he could take me later in the day as I knew a guy who had cancelled his 15:00 appointment and thankfully he agreed to so a big thank you to him as well. Test went well in difficult enough conditions and at the worst junction in cavan ( drumalee cross) wind had knocked traffic lights out so that was something I wasnt expecting and had to quickly adapt to. Think if you listen and learn from your trainer and stick to what you're thought its achievable for any competent rider. So I've gone from not having sat on a bike for 32 years to full A liscence in 6 1/2 months. Im well pleased with that.

• Advertisement

Congratulations! I've my test in Cavan in 3 weeks, hope the fk the weather ain't bad.

Congratulations! I've my test in Cavan in 3 weeks, hope the fk the weather ain't bad.

Thanks mate. Best of luck to you as well. If you get a chance take a run or 2 around the route in your own time. It will have you really confident and It will give you a chance to get your positioning spot on at the junctions and roundabouts. The route is pretty much set in stone except for where the uturn is done and the slow ride. Examiner ( if it's the same guy, a sligo man) was sound and very fair I thought as well.

Advertisement