Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contemporary fencing - advice on stain/paint

Options
  • 30-08-2018 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Looking to lean on the knowledge here..
    I'm want to create some contemporary wooden fencing in my garden.
    e.g.
    http://www.fairygardenhavens.com/small-contemporary-gardens/:
    I've no problem constructing such a thing, but am wondering what type of wood and stain I should use.
    I assume that type of colour is introduced by staining, so im looking to know what methods I would use to get that type of look.
    e.g. could I use ordinary treated timber and stain it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Western red cedar or iroko is used. Expensive, but so what if it ticks your box.

You can use a very light/clear oil to prolong the colour of cheaper timber, but climate/ sun will have a big impact.

Naturally, it will darken/silver over time.

I built a similar style fence 2 years ago, plain treated white deal, no stain and it has retained its appearance. I expect it to be silver in 3-5 years.It is free standing though so sheds water and dries quickly. It has uniform sun cover all day.

Google iroko cladding and you will find Irish suppliers.

Advertisement