Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to repair ceilings

Options
  • 30-08-2018 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Hi all
    We moved into our house last year ( house is 12 years old) and eventually getting around to redecorating. A lot of the ceilings have little cracks or holes in them (seems to be where plaster boards were tacked up ?) Or where recessed lights were put in and when we got a new shower tray in the old one had to be ripped out and the ceiling below lost some plaster...so my question is can you get someone in to register the ceilings before repainting or is this a job a good painter would do before painting? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I think a painter would be able to deal with this ceiling. If there's movement in the slabs then I would screw them into the joists. When I fill a crack I fill it first with caulk making it flush with the ceiling, using a filler blade. The caulk will sink into the crack. When dry, fill it with interior filler. Again draw it flush with the ceiling, using the blade. Paint the ceiling . If you can still see the crack fill again with filler. Roll over the crack fairly heavily coated with paint with a 4 inch emulsion roller. Coat the ceiling again when dry.

Alas, with cracks there is no guarantee that they won't reappear. However, if you follow the above process they certainly won't be as obvious as before. Good luck!

Advertisement