Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching council registration

Options
  • 30-08-2018 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi there I would be grateful if you could share this:
    I am in the process of registering with the teaching council (post primary) when I asked them if teachers are allowed to teach and can be employed to teach a subject they were not registered with the council for they replied "Of course, this is between you and the employer". So for example if the TC registered History as my degree subject but I have a pgce in Modern foreign languages I could go ahead and apply for French posts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Charlie27 wrote: »
    I am in the process of registering with the teaching council (post primary) when I asked them if teachers are allowed to teach and can be employed to teach a subject they were not registered with the council for they replied "Of course, this is between you and the employer". So for example if the TC registered History as my degree subject but I have a pgce in Modern foreign languages I could go ahead and apply for French posts?

Many Some (in the past at least) maths teachers didn't have maths degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Do the Teaching Council not recognise your pgce for MFL but do for History - did you query that with them? The pgce is a teaching qualification?

As far as I know, to get past shortlisting definitely with the ETBs, they would require that you have French listed on you TC registration. Now if you were to get a post teaching History, they may ask you to teach French but they would pay you the unqualified rate. This would not happen with Department schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Charlie27

Do the Teaching Council not recognise your pgce for MFL but do for History - did you query that with them? The pgce is a teaching qualification?

As far as I know, to get past shortlisting definitely with the ETBs, they would require that you have French listed on you TC registration. Now if you were to get a post teaching History, they may ask you to teach French but they would pay you the unqualified rate. This would not happen with Department schools.

So you can only teach what you are registered for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

So you can only teach what you are registered for?

Normally any posts advertised will request that you are registered with the teaching council. However, if you are in a school and a position cones up you may be considered.

I don't think you'd have much chance of getting, say, a French teaching contract by applying externally for an advertisement.

Advertisement