Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCUM, anyone get it?

Options
  • 29-08-2018 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

It looks bonkers not sure whether to pick it up or not, dont feel like managing my poops in a game too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/513710/SCUM/

Still not sure if its Battle Royale or just plain PVP building thingie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

It's a pooping DayZ by the looks of the clips I've seen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Played it for an hour. Found the movement and controls very rigid, got killed by robots, ran a lot for no reason and picked up many stones. Got refunded in the end as I'm not gonna play it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

I thought it was only released to content creators, might pick it up the weekend as I like the look of what ive seen so far.
    The robots look fairly annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Played for an hour and thought it wasn't very good.

Refunded.

Controls weren't very nice. Game felt kinda point less tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

ya i gave it a go. looks great and actually runs decently on my low end rig. other than that i got bored fast. i just don't have the patience for a game like this anymore. and this needs more patience than other survival games with the whole metabolic simulator stuff. i mean it's impressive but does anyone enjoy making sure you're not deficient in vitamin E in a computer game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

dreamers75 wrote: »
    It looks bonkers not sure whether to pick it up or not, dont feel like managing my poops in a game too.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/513710/SCUM/

Still not sure if its Battle Royale or just plain PVP building thingie.
    froog wrote: »
    ya i gave it a go. looks great and actually runs decently on my low end rig. other than that i got bored fast. i just don't have the patience for a game like this anymore. and this needs more patience than other survival games with the whole metabolic simulator stuff. i mean it's impressive but does anyone enjoy making sure you're not deficient in vitamin E in a computer game?

The devs have said that you can micro manage that stuff if you want a bonus to some stats. Other than this, it's pretty fine to just make sure you don't starve.

That said, I think it's an improved DayZ, but it's just as shallow.

Once you get a decent loadout, that's it, there is nothing else to do. Most houses are copy paste of each other, and loot is reaaaaly thin on the ground.
    Not starving to death takes a lot of busy work in single player.
    In multiplayer, it would be impossible with other players looting buildings before you.
    Loot that rare is going to resurrect the problem that DayZ has, and that's the issue of people shooting you for a can of beans. If loot were more plentiful, then people would let you live, and more emergent play would emerge.

I actually found the movement to be pretty fluid, not sure what the complaint there is.

Huge amount of variety in the loot, but that's another issue. With no base-building in game, you cannot store loot. This means that the more complex crafting items will never be created as the items just take up far too much room in your inventory.
    "Will i take the cabbage and not starve to death, or will i keep the pan that i might need for a recipe i could create in another 4 hours time?" Everyone is taking the cabbage....

Reloading weapons is a chore. Unpack the ammo box. Load that into a clip (Separate loot item to the gun. **** you if you find a gun but never a clip to put in it), put the clip into the gun, chamber the first round. It's far too much busy work.

Overall, i would wait for a few months while they hopefully sort some of this stuff out. Great potential, but not worth the money right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 NeonSquares

It's early access so...

I personally think it's great as a survival game, people complain about the mechs guarding the high loot areas but what do you expect lol, they're there for a reason to make getting high loot hard.

I stalked a guy who went into a bunker for loot, waited for him to come out, then put a spear through his face, then took his loot.

Hunting people and animals is way more fun, the people who treat it like a PUBG BR game are the easiest targets, they don't understand the camouflage and visibility system so you can hide and sneak up on them, kill them then loot them.

You can craft a lot of weapons and survive without going anywhere near high risk, mech guarded areas.

Fun survival game but you need to be a patient person, plenty of impatient people in the game to exploit.

Advertisement