Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How painful

Options
  • 29-08-2018 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks
    Getting my first tattoo and its on my ribs, It's not massive about 2 hours work max .Mostly of straight lines but a bit of shading
    How sore is it , I heard ribs can be particular painful ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Its gonna hurt.....alot.....it will settle and become bearable after a while.....but it will hurt.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Its gonna hurt.....alot.....it will settle and become bearable after a while.....but it will hurt.....

Imagine getting punched in the face... Not pleasant. Then imagine getting punched in the face and choosing to repeat the experience continuously for 2 hours. You have to sit there and accept the fact that you chose this...

It really depends on you tolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've a ribcage piece and I can't say I found it anywhere near as painful as the previous two posters. Maybe 10% more painful than being tattooed elsewhere. Certain spots (right on the "apex" of the bone, if that makes sense) sent a bit of a weird "vibration" sensation up to my teeth but that was about the extent of the nastiness.

It really does depend on your pain threshold, though. I don't find getting tattooed particularly sore in the first place whereas I have friends who find it nigh-on unbearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've a ribcage piece and I can't say I found it anywhere near as painful as the previous two posters. Maybe 10% more painful than being tattooed elsewhere. Certain spots (right on the "apex" of the bone, if that makes sense) sent a bit of a weird "vibration" sensation up to my teeth but that was about the extent of the nastiness.

It really does depend on your pain threshold, though. I don't find getting tattooed particularly sore in the first place whereas I have friends who find it nigh-on unbearable.

Same as this. I didn't find it as painful as others. I've had several tattoo's before - I don't know if that had anything to do with it. I found the pain was more irritating than painful. Like someone continually scratching me with a thumb-tack in the one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MiliMe

One of mine runs from the length of my ribs then kinda curls around the top of my boob. Its all black / shading.
    The only bit that was particularly painful was the curl in toward the boob (I'm guessing as its such a sensitive area).
    The rest of the tattoo felt like a slight burning sensation which you get used to after the first 30 seconds or so.
    Well that is my experience of it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Thanks for the input, Its a totally unknow for me so nice to hear peoples experien
    , I reckon iv a decent pain threshold time will tell ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Ahh Stop lads, Its not that bad.

Have 2 big tattoos.
    They were grand. towards the end you just want it over because your skin is so tender but its still bearable.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭RockDesk

Bring some water to drink and ask for breaks.

Good luck, enjoy your new tattoo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Small one on my ribs wasn’t bad at all...I found inside of bicep the most sensitive but I am one of those who enjoy the pain of getting a tattoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Over 10 hours on my ribs as my first tattoo; split in 4 sessions. Approx 7 years ago. Hurt like a mothaf' when close to the armpit and on the bones. Was it worth it? Absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

I have both ribcages done from armpit to hip. The longest sitting was a 6 hour session, and as I said before on this forum there was a bit of cringing, arm biting and some verbal moments. But in saying all that, you've just got to man up. I found the fleshy side area above the hips and below the ribs the sorest. The armpit aint a festival of fun either. The last time I got the ribs done, I was a bit rundown and under the weather, it seemed to hurt a lot more. As someone already mentioned its more irritating in general, burning, scratching and a bit of vibrating. You'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Thanks for the input, Its a totally unknow for me so nice to hear peoples experien
    , I reckon iv a decent pain threshold time will tell ,

Best of luck with it.

The pain threshold thing is a bit weird when it comes to tattoos. I wouldnt have a very high pain threshold at all but havent had any problems at all getting tattooed. Longest single sitting was five and a half hours(and that was the complete piece).

I got a small tattoo done first(took about 45 minutes)before committing to anything bigger, to see how i was getting it done. Having said that a mate of mine got his first about three months ago and that was seven and a half hours straight, which he did no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭dinorebel

harr wrote: »
    Small one on my ribs wasn’t bad at all...I found inside of bicep the most sensitive but I am one of those who enjoy the pain of getting a tattoo.

Had a 6 hour session on the inside of my bicep and felt like crying after about 10 minutes never felt anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 annaboniface55

Depends on your tolerance. Ribs are one of the most painful places to get a tattoo but everyone's different. Good luck

Advertisement