Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vespa Elettrica - European sales starting Oct

Options
  • 29-08-2018 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.engadget.com/2018/08/27/vespa-electric-scooter-on-sale-october-elettrica/
    The Elettrica has a maximum range of 100 km (62 miles) with stronger performance than a standard 50cc scooter. It will take you four hours to charge the battery, which will last up to a thousand charge cycles (or around 10 years) before capacity drops to about 80 percent. There's no word on the top speed yet

handy around the city centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Range of up to 100km

A lot more than just the city centre! Any idea on selling price, specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

unkel wrote: »
    Range of up to 100km

A lot more than just the city centre! Any idea on selling price, specs?

Same range as a decent electric bike, not much difference in speed, no tax or insurance on an e bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

ted1 wrote: »
    Same range as a decent electric bike, not much difference in speed, no tax or insurance on an e bike

Is this not classified as a scooter/motor propelled vehicle and not an electrically assisted bike? My (limited) understanding of an e-bike was that some amount of physical 'contribution' via pedals was required in order for it to be motor tax/insurance exempt.

If it is solely electric then I think both may be required.

I'm open to correction on this of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

RSA says:

What is the law on e-bikes / pedelecs / battery powered scooters? Regardless of the type of bike, the rule is as follows: If it can be powered by mechanical or electrical power alone (i.e. it can go without you pedalling or scooting it) then it is considered to be a mechanically propelled vehicle (MPV). Under Road Traffic Law, if an MPV is used in a public place it is subject to all of the regulatory controls that apply to other vehicles. Therefore, it must be roadworthy, registered, taxed and insured. The driver of the vehicle must hold the appropriate driving licence and is obliged to wear a crash helmet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

These are real mopeds but battery powered. Same license required. No idea on pricing but I think they'd be excellent for commuting.

• Advertisement

Is this not classified as a scooter/motor propelled vehicle and not an electrically assisted bike? My (limited) understanding of an e-bike was that some amount of physical 'contribution' via pedals was required in order for it to be motor tax/insurance exempt.

If it is solely electric then I think both may be required.

I'm open to correction on this of course.

It is that’s my point. For a whole lot of money and running costs , you’re not getting much more.

So why go to the hassle of tax, Insurance and license when you can just get an ebike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

With a 30 kmph top speed you'll be overtaken by MAMILs on their pushbikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Pkiernan wrote: »
    With a 30 kmph top speed you'll be overtaken by MAMILs on their pushbikes.

30 km/h speed limiter is on the eco mode. 2 kW continuous power will probably enough for close to 60 km/h and you have 4 kW on tap for bursts. Possibly they have 45/50 km/h hard speed limiter to keep in line with the moped regs.

One of these would make an excellent city commuter. The range probably would be at least 50 km even when you really hammer it.

It is that’s my point. For a whole lot of money and running costs , you’re not getting much more.

So why go to the hassle of tax, Insurance and license when you can just get an ebike.

These are real mopeds and will obviously do real moped speeds. Not EBike. its not comparible.

The only comparison you are drawing here is electricity....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Uhh, these are motor scooters, not mopeds. Mopeds have pedals as well as an ICE/motor.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    These are real mopeds and will obviously do real moped speeds. Not EBike. its not comparible.

The only comparison you are drawing here is electricity....

“There's no word on the top speed yet, though an Eco driving mode limits speed to 30 km/h (19 mph) to preserve battery life. ”

Pretty much the same speed as an e bike with a similar range.

Uhh, these are motor scooters, not mopeds. Mopeds have pedals as well as an ICE/motor.

Ah christ on a bike, go back to the continent.

This is Ireland, these are mopeds. No one calls them scooters here.

“There's no word on the top speed yet, though an Eco driving mode limits speed to 30 km/h (19 mph) to preserve battery life. ”

Pretty much the same speed as an e bike with a similar range.

Its evident you dont know what 'Eco Mode means' from your statement. I would have though it was pretty obvious that it limits the speed for a mode to be eco.

that is Not normal driving mode.

Swift Edit there Ted ___________

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Ah christ on a bike, go back to the continent.

This is Ireland, these are mopeds. No one calls them scooters here.

I've never heard a scooter owner in Ireland call one a "moped". I've only heard them called "mopeds" by people who haven't a clue about motorbikes :p

Its evident you dont know what 'Eco Mode means' from your statement. I would have though it was pretty obvious that it limits the speed for a mode to be eco.

that is Not normal driving mode.

Swift Edit there Ted ___________

So they’ll have a lower range ? With a 4 hour charge time?
    My old Vespa went forever with a 1 minute charge/fill time

I've never heard a scooter owner in Ireland call one a "moped". I've only heard them called "mopeds" by people who haven't a clue about motorbikes :p

Must be a different class down there in Cork so.

Scooter was something dragged from the continent or the US, who do you be hanging around with Boyyy :D

Incidently i have a clue about motorbikes i have several.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I see a danger here with the lack of the familiar lawnmower sound from a regular scooter/moper/hair-dryer. With no sound, ignorant 4 wheel drivers will more frequently side swipe people on these electric scooters. This is also a danger for stand-on scooters.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Any idea on pricing for these? Now that the Kona price is out I'll be looking for something cheaper!!

I see a danger here with the lack of the familiar lawnmower sound from a regular scooter/moper/hair-dryer. With no sound, ignorant 4 wheel drivers will more frequently side swipe people on these electric scooters. This is also a danger for stand-on scooters.

Ahh the good old power pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

Pricing announced now, starting at €6,390...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/8/17953026/electric-vespa-elettrica-first-piaggio-scooter-price-7000

Interesting addition to the EV space!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is that not an absolutely ridiculous price?
    How are they justifying that. The battery cant be the reason as its small (<8kWh based on 4hr charge time).

Battery must be far smaller than that. Sure my 1700kg car would do nearly 100km on 8kWh!

Price is indeed ridiculous. Family member living in China bought an electric scooter over there brand new for €300 (obviously a low grade locally produced yoke, but still)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

No doubt cashing in with trend setters, i.e. the trendy city folk with plenty of disposable income. Once the volume goes up they'll introduce a blebmobile version for half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Has anyone ever given one of these a go or know of any alternatives? Thinking about my commute in a post Covid world.

It was supposed to have been for sale about a year ago, but I can't find anything about it. It's far too expensive for what it is anyway.

Not sure if it is suitable for you, but have you considered getting an electric bike instead?

Advertisement