Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT insurance

Options
  • 29-08-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a car that has been off the road for 6 months. I've got it taxed and insured just now. However, the insurance are asking me for NCT documentation. It needs an NCT and I have it booked in for one. It's a catch 22. I can't drive it until I get NCT and I can't get NCT until I drive it to the NCT place.

Is NCT an absolute requirement for insurance?

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hi,

I have a car that has been off the road for 6 months. I've got it taxed and insured just now. However, the insurance are asking me for NCT documentation. It needs an NCT and I have it booked in for one. It's a catch 22. I can't drive it until I get NCT and I can't get NCT until I drive it to the NCT place.

T

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

i say the only way around this is get the car towed or on a flat bed to the nct centre

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hi,

T

No, it's not absolute. Different insurers vary. Have you explained the situation to them ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Thanks galwaytt

I will ask around and see. So long as I know it's not absolute, that helps.

T

Just be fully aware once nct is out legally you can't drive to the test or anywhere for that matter.

Insurance companies will just void your insurance and if in a crash and other person is at fault the price paid out will be considerably less.

You can get 3 points and a fine and if goes to court it's 5 points and a big fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks punisher5112

I did not know that.

Looks like I'm snookered!

T

Thanks punisher5112

I did not know that.

Looks like I'm snookered!

T

Like anything you could be lucky, guards can use discretion but there is always one that could do you.

I'll admit I've done it myself.

Just be fully aware once nct is out legally you can't drive to the test or anywhere for that matter.

Insurance companies will just void your insurance and if in a crash and other person is at fault the price paid out will be considerably less.

You can get 3 points and a fine and if goes to court it's 5 points and a big fine.

Incorrect - you CAN drive to the test.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

They can only cancel your insurance after the fact. You won't be, and can't be prosecuted for 'no insurance' on the day.

If there's and accident and a claim, the ins co is legally bound to pay out - but then they can come after you in a civil suit to recover anything paid out.

Either way, you're insured, and no third party will suffer a loss.

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Simple solution - get someone with open driving to drive the car to the test centre or a local mechanic if you know one well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Would insurers give OP temporary cover to include the test date ?
    If so, would they also give a little longer beyond test date to cater for a failed NCT and a retest date ?

Are you allowed to drive a vehicle on the road with no current NCT certificate in place if you are actually going specifically to the NCT centre for the test ?

galwaytt wrote: »
    Incorrect - you CAN drive to the test.

Eh no you are actually wrong.

Go read up on it.

GM228 will advise you.

We have done this to death on another thread.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Would insurers give OP temporary cover to include the test date ?
    If so, would they also give a little longer beyond test date to cater for a failed NCT and a retest date ?

Are you allowed to drive a vehicle on the road with no current NCT certificate in place if you are actually going specifically to the NCT centre for the test ?

No

Eh no you are actually wrong.

Go read up on it.

GM228 will advise you.

We have done this to death on another thread.

Hi, my understanding (which may be incorrect) is as follows. I'd appreciate your feedback.

1) If you get an insurance policy, you have 20 days to "produce all relevant documents", which includes NCT cert

2) Some companies have a Garda ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition)enquiry line, which can be called if stopped on the way to NCT.

T

Hi, my understanding (which may be incorrect) is as follows. I'd appreciate your feedback.

1) If you get an insurance policy, you have 20 days to "produce all relevant documents", which includes NCT cert

2) Some companies have a Garda ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition)enquiry line, which can be called if stopped on the way to NCT.

T

It's the case of it's ilegal to drive a car without nct on the road.

Insurance in most cases will have a clause where they will only insure you 3rd party and most likely will look for costs back and also if you are in a crash and not at fault you would get considerably less for the car if written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Yes but you have to have the NCT to begin with. Its deemed the marker as to whether the car is roadworthy.
    Most insurers and broker quote system have a smart reg system where you need to include the reg to get a quote.
    If it sees there is no NCT it will flag it and not quote.

Advertisement