Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New home automation.

Options
  • 29-08-2018 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Me and my wife have bought a new home here in Drogheda. As it is a new home, I would like to try and automate it , is wall sockets that connect to Google home, hue bulbs hive etc. I would like to do it on a budget and future proof it so it lasts a long time. Anybody know where do I start and where to buy these products at an affordable price?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It sounds like your new home is already built, rather then being in the process of being built?

That makes a big difference in terms of advice.

Assuming it is already built and fitted out, then you can gradually add items over a few years, while keeping an eye out on sales for products your interested in. The Bargain Alerts thread at the top of this forum is a good place to watch.

Amazon.co.uk is probably where most people get the majority of their gear, though we keep an eye out everywhere. In particular various Amazon prime day and black Friday sales usually have various HA gear reduced.

Here are some ideas and products:

Smart Thermostat: Tado, Nest, Netatmo, Honeywell Evohome, Hive
    Smart Bulbs: Philips Hue, Ikea, Xiaomi and lots of other wifi bulbs, though I highly recommend Hue
    Smart Speakers: Google Home, Amazon Echo
    Security cameras: Nest, Logitech Circle, Yi Home, Arlo, Blink, Ring
    Smart Wall Sockets: Sonoff, TP-Link and many others
    TV/AV Control: Logitech Harmony, Broadlink

Of course there are lots of other things, depending on what your needs are, but the above are the main ones where most people seem to start.

Advertisement