Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tap for water butt

Options
  • 28-08-2018 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I'm using some screw top 120 litre barrels as a rainwater butt. Just wondering what's an easy or cheap way to connect a tap to the barrel? Tap fittings seem a little expensive.

I want a 3/4 inch outlet also as it needs to fill watering cans quickly. If it's too slow I'll end up just going back to the mains tap!

Also, I was thinking of just using a short hose instead of a tap, just hang the end of it higher than the barrel when not in use...
    pros: cheaper, can be used to determine level of water in barrel
    Cons: seal may weaken with repeated movement.

Any ideas from people who've done this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Any agricultural store will have a butt Tao there are about a tenner come with plastic fixing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

my3cents wrote: »

Thanks, the seal looks good but I think the tap isn't 3/4 inch. I'll be using it to fill 2 10 litre watering cans. Looking for something fast flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tphase

a small bilge pump or drill powered pump will be fast

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What kinda fittings you looking at which are a "expensive"?

You can get a barrel tap for under a€10 and under ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

gozunda wrote: »
    What kinda fittings you looking at which are a "expensive"?

You can get a barrel tap for under a€10 and under ...

I can't find a barrel tap that has a large opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Thanks, the seal looks good but I think the tap isn't 3/4 inch. I'll be using it to fill 2 10 litre watering cans. Looking for something fast flowing.

Then as I've said on this forum before take the lid off the water butt and dip the watering cans. That is the traditional way to do it. Any decent watering can will be made so you can use the base of the spout to push the watering can under water and then lift it out again. Trouble is most watering cans you can buy are cheap rubbish and only Haws still make a proper watering can now a days (example - expensive but worth it).

Advertisement