Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for an old club online (Callaway x14 approach/gap wedge)

Options
  • 28-08-2018 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

*mods, if there's a thread for these type of Qs can you let me know please, couldn't spot one*

hey lads, I was set on changing my irons a while back but instead opted for a few lessons & got myself down to single digit handicap. now i'm hitting the ball consistent & happy with my game & set on keeping my old X14s.

I've realised I need a gap wedge (PW 46.5 & SW 55) but i'm pretty picky! Not a lot feels right in my hands as i'm so used to my clubs. So I decided i'm going to stick with same make/model as my irons. in searching for a 20 year old iron that didn't come in the set, the only one I can find online (with right shaft) is in the US:

https://www.2ndswing.com/pv-925941797-callaway-x-14-wedge-gap-gw-stock-graphite-shaft-graphite-stiff-right-handed-355-in.aspx

The club is only $39.99 which seems a fair price, shipping is a further $49.99 which makes the club seem a bit expensive or would this be the norm for rarer old clubs?

do ye know of anywhere in Ireland/UK/Europe that I might have a bit of luck on sourcing this club? or should I just suck it up & pay the $90

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I would think that eBay might be your best bet. A quick search on the .co.uk site returned the following:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xcalloway+x14+wedge.TRS0&_nkw=calloway+x14+wedge&_sacat=0

Its going to be tricky, shipping is not cheap for clubs, and if you bring it in from the US, you may also get caught for duty on top of the price you pay.

Other than that you could try a couple of golf clubs that might have some old sets that they use for rentals that might have some spares?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

I would think that eBay might be your best bet. A quick search on the .co.uk site returned the following:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xcalloway+x14+wedge.TRS0&_nkw=calloway+x14+wedge&_sacat=0

Its going to be tricky, shipping is not cheap for clubs, and if you bring it in from the US, you may also get caught for duty on top of the price you pay.

Other than that you could try a couple of golf clubs that might have some old sets that they use for rentals that might have some spares?

cheers for the reply! Ya I've searched ebay, what's catching me is the shaft I use/like. I'll keep trying & I might ring around a few of the golf shops (won't hold my breath tho)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Try golfbidder.co.uk too

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭big_drive

slave1 wrote: »

Would there be duty there too to be paid, nice selection of clubs. Any purchased from here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Are you looking for a stiff graphite shaft? I used the X14 with Firm graphite shafts and a GW which I think was 52 deg. I think they came with Regular, Firm and Stiff graphite shafts.

big_drive wrote: »
    Would there be duty there too to be paid, nice selection of clubs. Any purchased from here?

Yes on C&E as they are couriered in so no escaping, I’ve bought loads from them over the years, quality always as/better than expected

Try golfbidder.co.uk too

just saw they've got an email notification section if the club comes in stock, will try that thanks!

they don't have the one i'm after (& the site doesn't look like it ships outside US) will see if they've a euro site. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Yes on C&E as they are couriered in so no escaping, I’ve bought loads from them over the years, quality always as/better than expected

It looks like a site where you’d be guaranteed quality so that’s a bonus
    Did you find it still worked out good value even taking shipping and customs into account?

• Advertisement

bmay529 wrote: »
    Are you looking for a stiff graphite shaft? I used the X14 with Firm graphite shafts and a GW which I think was 52 deg. I think they came with Regular, Firm and Stiff graphite shafts.

well this is embarrassing... im just home & checked my irons & it is firm (not stiff)… no chance you still have that gap wedge & not using it? :)

they don't have the one i'm after (& the site doesn't look like it ships outside US) will see if they've a euro site. thanks again

They ship to Ireland, used them plenty of times, delivery usually 2 to 3 days

benji79 wrote: »
    It looks like a site where you’d be guaranteed quality so that’s a bonus
    Did you find it still worked out good value even taking shipping and customs into account?

Yep, my last purchase was an as new O Works putter and it was €40 cheaper than anywhere I priced here including C&E and courier fee (which you pay upon delivery).

well this is embarrassing... im just home & checked my irons & it is firm (not stiff)… no chance you still have that gap wedge & not using it? :)

I have the firm GW in my backup X14 set which I used for many years but I am afraid I am not ready to sell it. Have to say it was one of my best decisions some years ago and is worth getting.

I have bought from Callawaypreowned and they do deliver to Ireland. Also bought from 3balls in US for delivery here. Freight is expensive and there is duty on top of it but then you get what you want, the quality was good and I was happy to pay whatever was needed. If one does not deliver to Ireland you could look into the new an Post service that provides a delivery address in US. I have not used it but it looks a bit like Parcel Motel service from UK and deals with freight and duty from US.

I have the firm GW in my backup X14 set which I used for many years but I am afraid I am not ready to sell it. Have to say it was one of my best decisions some years ago and is worth getting.

I have bought from Callawaypreowned and they do deliver to Ireland. Also bought from 3balls in US for delivery here. Freight is expensive and there is duty on top of it but then you get what you want, the quality was good and I was happy to pay whatever was needed. If one does not deliver to Ireland you could look into the new an Post service that provides a delivery address in US. I have not used it but it looks a bit like Parcel Motel service from UK and deals with freight and duty from US.

if you do decide to sell let me know ;)

I'll keep track of that site & see if it pops up

They ship to Ireland, used them plenty of times, delivery usually 2 to 3 days

thanks again slave1! I'll keep track of them so in the hope it pops up

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Yep, my last purchase was an as new O Works putter and it was €40 cheaper than anywhere I priced here including C&E and courier fee (which you pay upon delivery).

Great thanks
    How do they work out customs?
    Say a set of irons for example $400. Is it different rates for used good as opposed to new items or what criteria is used

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Got 2 Vokey wedges from the Calloway Pre owened (Under other brands!) that were $30/$40 each. Total cost landed was about €100

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

benji79 wrote: »
    Great thanks
    How do they work out customs?
    Say a set of irons for example $400. Is it different rates for used good as opposed to new items or what criteria is used

duty on golf clubs is 2.7% and then you have vat @23%. Both are also charged on the cost of shipping from US.
    Then your Irish courier will probably charge an additional processing fee:eek:

martinkop wrote: »
    duty on golf clubs is 2.7% and then you have vat @23%. Both are also charged on the cost of shipping from US.
    Then your Irish courier will probably charge an additional processing fee:eek:

You won't need to pay customs if the value of the goods (not including shipping costs) is less than €150.
    You will pay VAT on cost of clubs + shipping at 23%.
    Callaway use UPS so I think they charge €14 for the tax collection and payment "service".

• Advertisement

Just chanced upon my last UPS bill, it's €15+23% VAT that they charge

was in touch with that 2nd swing place as I noticed they've no option for "firm" shaft... they're saying firm was just the old school term for stiff & if it says stiff on the site it would be firm in terms of an x14... sound right to ye?

if yes I'm just gonna go & pay the shipping & get the club

*update*the rep from the site says it does say firm on the shaft alright... new (very old) club on the way to me :)

was in touch with that 2nd swing place as I noticed they've no option for "firm" shaft... they're saying firm was just the old school term for stiff & if it says stiff on the site it would be firm in terms of an x14... sound right to ye?

if yes I'm just gonna go & pay the shipping & get the club

*update*the rep from the site says it does say firm on the shaft alright... new (very old) club on the way to me :)

Happy Days!! Let us know how it works for you when you get it

Happy Days!! Let us know how it works for you when you get it

will do, reckon it'll replace my 3 iron

Advertisement