Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire excess Insurance

Options
  • 28-08-2018 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭

Hi All, Can anyone point me to something that explains in clear English the different types of insurance for car hire.
    I am trying to figure out if we just take the basic package and buy excess car hire insurance elsewhere are we fully covered if the car gets scratched for example?
    We will be in France

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Hi All, Can anyone point me to something that explains in clear English the different types of insurance for car hire.
    I am trying to figure out if we just take the basic package and buy excess car hire insurance elsewhere are we fully covered if the car gets scratched for example?
    We will be in France

Thanks

Basically yes. The big difference is that if you have your own excess insurance you'll have to pay the rental company at the time and claim the cost afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Basically yes. The big difference is that if you have your own excess insurance you'll have to pay the rental company at the time and claim the cost afterwards.

Great thanks the difference is significant between the carhire companies and excess hire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Great thanks the difference is significant between the carhire companies and excess hire

Very significant. I have an annual policy which costs less than a few days' cover from any of the companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Because the car hire company gets a thumping big slice of commission. Plus the admin involved is the same as your excess policy which probably covers a year instead of a few days.

Advertisement