Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Fireplace plate anchored to wall

Options
  • 27-08-2018 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭

We have a metal fireplace 'plate' for want of a better description, that is attached to the wall (plaster over concrete block) using some kind of anchors that were clearly hammered in. We want to remove the plate and replace it with a new one as well as put an inset stove in place.

Here is a picture of the fireplace, the black thing's the plate: bj8g15.jpg

What's a reasonably low-destruction way to remove these anchors and hence, the plate? I've gotten one suggestion to use an angle grinder, which I've never done and I have images of sparks flying everywhere in the living room, which is scary. Another possibility is a concrete chisel/sledge hammer combo, which I fear will create big holes in the concrete block.

Here is a closeup of a corner of the plate with one of the anchors in it, slightly exposed after I broke off a corner of the plate (which had cracked) with a hammer and small chisel. The other anchors aren't yielding, however

The anchor's actually hollow - I stuck a stick all the way into it. It's not a bolt nor threaded. Is there some kind of extractor I could rent that might yank them out?

29xajjp.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Me I'd grind them out straight cut across .

Other option get a large masonry drill bit. SDS for speed and drill adjacent to the spike close as you can get this should loosen the hold on it. Then pull it off the wall leever with a crow bar

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Another question; this job's beyond me - those anchors aren't coming out and having never used an angle grinder in my life, plus what I'm seeing online, I don't want to use one. So, I'm looking for a fireplace repairperson.

I've learned talking to a couple lads, that fireplace techs should be licensed. Is this correct? Must they be licensed? I haven't found many candidates out this way, and I don't want to drive them off up front with a rude question.

Advice welcome, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,240 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

They are express nails so if you get a large steel bit, with a slow speed, and some lubricant, having cleaned off as much of the concrete as possible, you can drill out the shoulder.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement