Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut Oil - Healthy or Unhealthy?

Options
  • 27-08-2018 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

After years of consuming Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Rape seed oil I changed to Raw Coconut oil a couple of months ago believing it to be healthier.

I notice now that medical people seem divided on it’s use, with one even referring to it as ‘poison’.

I would appreciate your take on this folks:)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/well/eat/coconut-oil-good-bad-health.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

I use it now and again for flavour more than anything - a tablespoonful stirred into mashed potatoes is divine.

But my general take is the same as everything else - moderation.

The actual case against coconut oil stems from the fact that it's around 88% saturated fat, albeit of a vegetable nature and so less harmful to all species.

Providing you don't use too much coconut oil, what you should really be worried about - and avoid like the plague - is palm kernel oil and palm oil, which is in practically every processed product out there. Defo. avoid any that's hydrogenated.

That oil too is high in saturated fat, around 82% for palm kernel oil and 50% for palm oil (but I'm unsure whether processors make the distinction). Of course the real problem is deforestation, lost of animal habitat, slaughter and extinction of animals and climate change.

So don't worry about modest use of coconut oil (use different ones for different purposes) but shun processed food. What do they say? "If it's made from a plant, eat it; if it's made in a plant, feck it." Or something like that.

The best oil for cooking, I'm told, is sunflower oil as it generally works out at around 9% saturates, 72% polyunsaturates and the rest monounsaturated or try rapeseed oil, which has the advantage of containing a significant percentage as omega-3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

This is very helpful David, thanks.

The reports about elevated cholesterol levels is what concerns me. My last reading was 4.1 before changing to Coconut Oil. I’d be disappointed if it has increased. Sometimes it’s difficult to know if you’re making the healthy choices when medical professionals give conflicting advice.

Do doctors get any nutritional education? :confused:

Do doctors get any nutritional education? :confused:
    I remember watching a WPFD documentary (can’t remember which one) but a doctor promoting the diet was prevented from being filmed in the hospital he worked because the hospital board reckoned that promoting healthy eating would be bad for the hospital - fewer patients, operations & profits would suffer. I was shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Rapeseed is my fav, I do use some coconut but typically it would be sunflower oil for me, olive or rapeseed for salads, toasted sesame for stir frys. Oh look at me with all my oils LOL.

• Advertisement

I remember watching a WPFD documentary (can’t remember which one) but a doctor promoting the diet was prevented from being filmed in the hospital he worked because the hospital board reckoned that promoting healthy eating would be bad for the hospital - fewer patients, operations & profits would suffer. I was shocked!

Yes, just like the cancer industry. Prevent it with a sensible diet (rather than pursue a pharmaceutical 'cure' once you have it) and...their profits disappear.

If seriously large amounts of money could be made from broccoli, the food industry would have us all vegan in moments. But they'd get a fight from the health industry. :rolleyes:

ElKavo wrote: »
    Rapeseed is my fav, I do use some coconut but typically it would be sunflower oil for me, olive or rapeseed for salads, toasted sesame for stir frys. Oh look at me with all my oils LOL.

Toasted sesame, yes! Perfect for that one dish.

My go-to oil is almost always rapeseed because it's Irish organic (see here).

Yes, just like the cancer industry. Prevent it with a sensible diet (rather than pursue a pharmaceutical 'cure' once you have it) and...their profits disappear.

If seriously large amounts of money could be made from broccoli, the food industry would have us all vegan in moments. But they'd get a fight from the health industry. :rolleyes:

Ah David, will you stop talking sense now! You'll have a blacked out van parked outside your gaff if your not careful!! :pac::pac:

Toasted sesame, yes! Perfect for that one dish.

My go-to oil is almost always rapeseed because it's Irish organic (see here).

Yeah it is great stuff, I do think it could do with a re-brand though, maybe something like happy smiley oil. Rapeseed just doesn't sit well in my mouth.

Ah David, will you stop talking sense now! You'll have a blacked out van parked outside your gaff if your not careful!! :pac::pac:

I'm a terrorist by some measures...of the most peaceful kind of course.

There's a good book called Green is the New Red, and I identified with a lot of the text.

• Advertisement

:D:D:D

Yeah it is great stuff, I do think it could do with a re-brand though, maybe something like happy smiley oil. Rapeseed just doesn't sit well in my mouth.

The plant is brassica napus. "Napus oil" do you? It's the best I could do, sorry.

I'm a terrorist by some measures...of the most peaceful kind of course.

There's a good book called Green is the New Red, and I identified with a lot of the text.

Must have a look for that one.

Must have a look for that one.

I got it through the local library (i.e. ordered it).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't really use oil, very sparsely. If I did maybe avocado oil would be best due to the high smoke point, or coconut. None are too good for you when cooking, and really the amount you use should be as little so as to mean which one doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The latest info on coconut oil which has been heavily promoted - is that on average it contains twice the amount of saturated fat as lard!

Was never a fan tbh - I think I'll be giving it a skip all the same...

I don't really use oil, very sparsely. If I did maybe avocado oil would be best due to the high smoke point, or coconut. None are too good for you when cooking, and really the amount you use should be as little so as to mean which one doesn't matter.

I once tried cutting fat right back in my diet and ended up with very dry skin.

Don't know why I did it really, just for the craic I suppose.

My understanding now (via the Vegan Society) is that somewhere between a fifth and a third of your calories should come from fat, which of course can be a mixture of nuts and seeds plus the small amount in veggies plus any oil you're using.

I think the major problems with oil occur if they're heated excessively and/or repeatedly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh yeah certainly have fat in your diet! It's just best, like you said, to come from food like nuts and so on so that it is accompanied by some nutrients rather than just pure fat. It is analogous to sugar. I'd prefer an oil high in monounsaturated fat like avocado but it's expensive stuff, usually would just "sauté" with water.
    If making something like popcorn I'd use a spoon of anything suitable, vegetable, sunflower as it's a small amount. Just oil sprays seem handy but never looked into what is actually in them.

If you find you have a sprayer from anything, you could try washing it thoroughly and then filling it with your favourite oil. The sprayer may not last long but it's a kind of recycling.

I'm imagining shocked guests as I spray oil on their food from a re-purposed eco-friendly tile scrubber.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

The US can't grow coconuts, they can grow seeds. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

Unhealthy.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement