Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing heating storage tank

Options
  • 27-08-2018 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I'm replacing my heating oil storage tank and have a query before I continue...

It came with the two brass fittings in the picture and I just screwed the silver painted elbow into it with ptfe tape wrapped around.

I'm wondering if the two brass fittings are already oil tight. Should I have unscrewed the inner brass fitting and put ptfe tape on it also?

oiltankfitting.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Ptfe tape on its own might not be enough. You might need hemp or at least compound.
    The brass fitting should be checked for tightness. Don't over do it. It's most likely a left hand thread.

There are lots of regulations about tank installation which should be adhered to.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

That's not answering my question.

Can anyone else answer...

Should I have unscrewed the inner brass fitting and put ptfe tape on it also or are those two brass fittings oil tight from the manufacturer?

...please?

I know that I'm not "anyone else, however; No ptfe needed there, but as I already wrote, it should be checked for correct tightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭John.G

That's not answering my question.

Can anyone else answer...

Should I have unscrewed the inner brass fitting and put ptfe tape on it also or are those two brass fittings oil tight from the manufacturer?

...please?

I replaced my Tank last (year) summer.....brass fittings were oil tight, ( I didn't touch them) I considered using hemp with compound on the other fittings but I finally opted for PTFE tape and a compound called "Uni-Red" which I applied liberally to the remaining fittings, just make sure it doesn,t get anywhere near the inside of those fittings. Personally I wouldn't be overly happy with using just thread tape as all the fittings have a very coarse thread. If you do opt for a/this compound, let it dry for a few days at least before filling the tank.
    I also got my supplier to pump in just enough oil to cover the tank outlet initially to check for leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭T5180

The brass fittings should be oil tight as supplied providing they havent moved as the nipple and elbow were tightened in position . It can be tricky to re -tighten these if they do move so be careful . PTFE alone will not work for this , the joints will be at best damp and will probably leak , Hemp/flax and a compound is the best . Its also a good idea to fit a valve next to the tank , that way you only have two threaded joints which would require draining the tank to repair if they gave trouble .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭John.G

T5180 wrote: »
    The brass fittings should be oil tight as supplied providing they havent moved as the nipple and elbow were tightened in position . It can be tricky to re -tighten these if they do move so be careful . PTFE alone will not work for this , the joints will be at best damp and will probably leak , Hemp/flax and a compound is the best . Its also a good idea to fit a valve next to the tank , that way you only have two threaded joints which would require draining the tank to repair if they gave trouble .

Yes, I only lightly tightened the nipple (I then fitted a isolating gate valve) when fitting as I didn't want to disturb the brass fittings and anyway you are relying on the threads/tape/compound to stop any leaks and not any brute force.
    "Uni-Red" recommends using flax with their product, when I installed my first storage tank in 1995 I again used PTFE tape and a compound called "Stag"that I got at work, that mixture certainly didn't leak over a 22 year period!. The whole attachment method is bad IMO, the tanks should be supplied with a flange to which you can fit a isolating valve and then do what you like after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

The brass fitting are tightened to the correct torque by the tank manufacturer,no need to check for tightness.A good few wraps of tape with unired,stag or similar will be fine.what fitting do you have on the male part of elbow in bottom of picture

Ps .for threaded joints between the valve and tank,i fit a light layer of hemp first,then coat it with heldite,then a couple of wraps of ptfe,.Also no unnecessary fitting or threaded joints between the tank and valve

agusta wrote: »
    The brass fitting are tightened to the correct torque by the tank manufacturer,no need to check for tightness.A good few wraps of tape with unired,stag or similar will be fine.what fitting do you have on the male part of elbow in bottom of picture

Ps .for threaded joints between the valve and tank,i fit a light layer of hemp first,then coat it with heldite,then a couple of wraps of ptfe,.Also no unnecessary fitting or threaded joints between the tank and valve

I have fitted hundreds of those and you'll rue the day that you forget to check the brass fittings.

I understand what your saying.i tighten up the nipple just short of disturbing the brass fittings.If the brass fitting was not tightened to the correct torque it would show up when i fit the nipple.I havent come across a brass fitting loose as yet,but then again i only supply tanks from the same manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

agusta wrote: »
    I understand what your saying.i tighten up the nipple just short of disturbing the brass fittings.If the brass fitting was not tightened to the correct torque it would show up when i fit the nipple.I havent come across a brass fitting loose as yet,but then again i only supply tanks from the same manufacturer

and most of the time you have somebody who knows what hes doing with you :o:o

to make sure you are not using galv fittings etc :p:p:p

• Advertisement

jimf wrote: »
    and most of the time you have somebody who knows what hes doing with you :o:o

to make sure you are not using galv fittings etc :p:p:p
    Somebody who does know what has to be done.but does he do it.no, he watches the other person doing it. 'The Foreman"
    have never used galvanised fittings,but i do paint the black gb fittings

Advertisement