Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Politics and Society - new LC subject - anyone here sit the exam this year?

Options
  • 27-08-2018 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My daughter has chosen the new Politics and Society as a LC subject and I'm wondering if anyone here sat this exam in this year's LC and if so do you have any tips on how to do well in the subject?
    All courses she is considering are high points courses so ideally she needs to do well in all subjects. She has a keen interest in politics and current affairs so I'm hoping the fact that she is interested in the material will keep her focussed. English would be her strongest subject (Distinction in JC) so I'm hoping her writing skills will help in formulating answers but if you have any tips I would be grateful. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make sure she maximises her marks in the coursework element 20%.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

cloud1969 wrote: »
    She has a keen interest in politics and current affairs so I'm hoping the fact that she is interested in the material will keep her focussed. English would be her strongest subject (Distinction in JC) so I'm hoping her writing skills will help in formulating answers ...
    In fairness, she sounds like the type of student who has the potential to do very well in this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cloud1969

In fairness, she sounds like the type of student who has the potential to do very well in this subject.
    Cheers guys, would love to hear from anyone who sat the paper this year but appreciate that boards may not be a place where 18 year olds hang out😀

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Cheers guys, would love to hear from anyone who sat the paper this year but appreciate that boards may not be a place where 18 year olds hang out��
    We probably don't have as many as we used to have, but there's still a fair few.

The bigger issue probably is that this subject is very new, and was first examined this year on a pilot basis for about (I think) 800 students. Given that there were roughly 55-56 thousand students taking LC exam this year, that's a very small percentage.

Probably a few more people looking in tomorrow when CAO R2 offers come out, so you may have better luck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RebelRising18

My daughter has chosen the new Politics and Society as a LC subject and I'm wondering if anyone here sat this exam in this year's LC and if so do you have any tips on how to do well in the subject?
    All courses she is considering are high points courses so ideally she needs to do well in all subjects. She has a keen interest in politics and current affairs so I'm hoping the fact that she is interested in the material will keep her focussed. English would be her strongest subject (Distinction in JC) so I'm hoping her writing skills will help in formulating answers but if you have any tips I would be grateful. Thanks.

I sat the exam in June and found it to be a very manageable paper. I believe they have released a textbook so that will provide greater information on the exam. The key thinkers are the most important aspect of the course as you can use them in the long data question and essay questions. The subject requires students to gather data from different sources to use in their essay which is pretty unique for the LC syllabus. The short questions are fairly straight forward and are based on real life examples and the key thinkers. The project is 20% and I found to be okay. You cannot prepare for the data question but a good standard of english will help her obtain a high mark in that section. To conclude, I think she made a good choice choosing the subject as it is one of the more practical subjects on the leaving cert.

• Advertisement
Advertisement