Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Test Drivers & Fitting

Options
  • 27-08-2018 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my 10 year old driver, with a new driver.

Does anyone know of a place in Dublin where you can hit a few drivers, and they will fit you with the right shaft etc?

I don't want to hit into a net / computer screen... i'd like to be able to hit it on a driving range?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

McGuirks in Kinsealy is on the driving range there, so you'd be able to see the ball flight

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

You can do this with McGuirks in Leopardstown Driving Range too. Robbie Jackson is the name of the guy who does the fitting there. You have to ring up and book an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Great, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I was booked in for a fitting & the lad in mcguirks told me to head to kinsealy and hit a few different clubs to save some time during the session and have an idea what I wanted in the fitting. The lads there were happy to oblige

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

It will cost you a few more quid, but I have heard https://www.foregolf.ie/ at Killeen Castle is very good, I intend to visit them before my next club purchase.

I visit Kinsealy range often also, it is a top notch range with a shop on site. Have not tried to demo any clubs at Kinsealy though, would think they might push that a bit more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

I recently got fitted for a new driver by the club pro at my course - made the world of difference, I now have the confidence to hit the club on the tee, where as before I was always 3 wood, my 3 wood goes a good distance, but always felt I was losing 15 / 20 yards off the tee - the difference it has made is incredible and would recommend to get fitted for a driver that works for you. No joking, it probably has added 40/ 50 yards onto my drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I recently got fitted for a new driver by the club pro at my course - made the world of difference, I now have the confidence to hit the club on the tee, where as before I was always 3 wood, my 3 wood goes a good distance, but always felt I was losing 15 / 20 yards off the tee - the difference it has made is incredible and would recommend to get fitted for a driver that works for you. No joking, it probably has added 40/ 50 yards onto my drives.

I would second this, I went to Birr to get my driver fitted and has made a huge difference not just the few extra yards gained but the confidence to hit my driver consistently.
    The biggest change has been my misses with the driver are now far fewer and way less punishing than before. I play on a tight track so this has translated into a much improved average scoring this year.

As to the fitting I would agree with the OP and try to get on a trackman at an outdoor range like Birr. I just get no real sense of my shots from a screen or just numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Thanks for the help all... much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

oo7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help all... much appreciated.
    Best of luck with it - let us know how you get on !

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Webbs wrote: »
    I would second this, I went to Birr to get my driver fitted and has made a huge difference not just the few extra yards gained but the confidence to hit my driver consistently.
    The biggest change has been my misses with the driver are now far fewer and way less punishing than before. I play on a tight track so this has translated into a much improved average scoring this year.

As to the fitting I would agree with the OP and try to get on a trackman at an outdoor range like Birr. I just get no real sense of my shots from a screen or just numbers

What handicaps are you lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    What handicaps are you lads?

My swing was fighting my previous shaft set up (off the shelf), now following the fitting its working with it so can swing more freely

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr Devious

Can you play a few shots of grass at Kinsealy or Leopardstown, I presume you’re usually hitting of mats which are fine for the driver but would prefer a few shots with irons on the grass for better feedback, everyone hits the ball well of a perfect lie on the mats. How in-depth is the fitting, lie angle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

You can play as many shots as you like off grass at Kinsealy, huge grass area at no extra cost besides balls. Not familiar with Leopardstown.

Advertisement