Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting back into flight simming

• 26-08-2018 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I’m Conor,

First post on this forum, so nice to meet you all. I’m wondering if any of you can provide a bit of guidance.

I’m looking to get back into flight simming. I was big into it years ago and was mainly running FSX with a bunch of lovely addons on an old Dell dimension C521 Desktop PC. It ran FS2004 really well (back in the day) but wasn’t ideal for running FSX with the spectrum of addons I had. Nonetheless, I’m looking to get back into it. I currently run X-Plane 10 on a MacBook Pro I use as my main computer currently, but they’re not really ideal for running this kind of stuff are they.

Looking around at PC options, This is where you guys hopefully come in. I’d be looking to get something off the shelf to run either P3D (which I haven’t tried yet but looks fantastic) or FSX. Would going with P3D be a better option as it’s a more modern platform and still being supported/developed?

In terms of budget, I’d be hoping to spent perhaps €500-750 and get a decent performance with medium settings/sliders but can go to 1000 max if the performance would be worth it. (As you can tell, I really haven’t a clue)

Looking on the gaming section of currys.ie, there seems to be many options within my budget. https://www.currys.ie/ieen/gaming-pcs/desktop-pcs/desktop-pcs/317_3055_30057_xx_ba00010707-bv00308579/xx-criteria.html

Anyone got any suggestions on where to start/and of course where to buy in Ireland? Any tips and or suggestions at all would be much appreciated. Apologies if I’m being way too optimistic or Ill informed.

Hoping to hear from you,
    Regards,
    Conor.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

*quietly suggesting*...might this be better posted in the "PC Gaming" section of "Computer Games"? 🀔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭conork93

Oh my apologies if I have, thought that as this forum was more geared specifically for flight simulation, it might be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

conork93 wrote: »
    Oh my apologies if I have, thought that as this forum was more geared specifically for flight simulation, it might be better.
    That's what I would have thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyknight

No apologise necessary, Conork93,
    Though onr would be more likely to get a suggestion in the in the Computers and Technogly PC Building & Upgrading section (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842.) I'm sue you have a general idea of the machine you are looking for though, which might help should the machine not be available off the shelf.
    This section mainly deals with either the software or hardware specifically related to the flightsim (joysticks etc.) I wouldn't say there is much hardware discussion on the Games forum. Lastly....Flightsim is NOT a game, it is an ADDICTION. :D By the way...Welcome back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭conork93

Skyknight wrote: »
    No apologise necessary, Conork93,
    Though onr would be more likely to get a suggestion in the in the Computers and Technogly PC Building & Upgrading section (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=842.) I'm sue you have a general idea of the machine you are looking for though, which might help should the machine not be available off the shelf.
    This section mainly deals with either the software or hardware specifically related to the flightsim (joysticks etc.) I wouldn't say there is much hardware discussion on the Games forum. Lastly....Flightsim is NOT a game, it is an ADDICTION. :D By the way...Welcome back :D

Hi there,

Thanks a million for your reply. I’ll go ahead and pop a similar thread into that section straight away. Oh your absolutely right though, it really is an obsession once you get a performance your happy with isn’t it. Can be hugely frustrating if you can’t. Lastly, cheers for the warm welcome, hope to be more regular with the posts once I can get sorted with a machine.

Thanks again, Conor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

FunkyDa2 wrote: »
    *quietly suggesting*...might this be better posted in the "PC Gaming" section of "Computer Games"? ��

Quietly suggesting that flight simming is NOT GAMING!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

If I may make an observation which may be slightly off topic; when I got my first Flight Sim, and progressed from handling a light aircraft to the Boeing 737, I found that while landings went very smoothly, until I tried it after just one bottle of beer, at which point every landing attempt ended in a pancake on the runway. Makes you think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Skyknight

Quietly suggesting that flight simming is NOT GAMING!

:cool: Damn right.....its an addiction

Advertisement