Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will not get paid

Options
  • 26-08-2018 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Hi guys opinions needed...... and advice

So I am returning back from a 2 year of a career break and have been informed I will not be paid for this week when I go back tomorrow. dont know what to do. technically would I be insured to teach or be in building when not being paid. The teacher that was covering my break will be paid until the 31st august which is fair enough as that when theyre contracted for and I will get paid from the 1st September. I dont want to miss the first week or to be petty a few have advised me not to go in if im not getting paid or to talk to the prinicpal but he is not a very reasonable person and our relationship would not be the best and if i dont go in it would make it worse. I just feels its unfair to be asked to work for free and to be honest after two years off with money tight with childcare etc and an already 1hr and half commute each way everyday.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

You get paid next August for it. It is a salary paid over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The purpose is so that temporary and retiring teachers are paid during the summer holidays. Your sharing the post with the temp occupant. Only one of you can be paid at the one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

You're paid for 167 teaching days in school year. It can in reality start before 1st Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Did you work the few days in August the year you started your career break? You will have been paid until August 31st that year. If you did then stand your ground, if you didn't then consider that to be payment for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

When you retire, will you be paid till the 1st sept and will you be expected to work the days up to 1st Sept. The replacement teacher would have built up a leave entitlement in the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

Circular 11/04 provides clarity on this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

roxychix wrote: »
    Hi guys opinions needed...... and advice

So I am returning back from a 2 year of a career break and have been informed I will not be paid for this week when I go back tomorrow. dont know what to do. technically would I be insured to teach or be in building when not being paid. The teacher that was covering my break will be paid until the 31st august which is fair enough as that when theyre contracted for and I will get paid from the 1st September. I dont want to miss the first week or to be petty a few have advised me not to go in if im not getting paid or to talk to the prinicpal but he is not a very reasonable person and our relationship would not be the best and if i dont go in it would make it worse. I just feels its unfair to be asked to work for free and to be honest after two years off with money tight with childcare etc and an already 1hr and half commute each way everyday.

thanks

I hope you went into work. You are paid a salary based on working a full academic year. The pay for the academic year commeces on Sept 1st and ends on August 31st every year.
    It might suck having to wait a few weeks to get paid however when you departed you would have been paid up to August 31st, even though your replacement had probsbly worked close to a week in your job at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭roxychix

well the news is i went in i wouldn't leave them short staffed or feel petty wouldn't be fair. but the good news i finally got offered hours at a school close to my home yesterday. so i handed in my notice in my old school have to work 2 weeks notice but i finally have my wish that im closer to home and can actually get to spend time with my kids. thanks for the help guys appreciate it. every cloud has a silver lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭Grueller

roxychix wrote: »
    well the news is i went in i wouldn't leave them short staffed or feel petty wouldn't be fair. but the good news i finally got offered hours at a school close to my home yesterday. so i handed in my notice in my old school have to work 2 weeks notice but i finally have my wish that im closer to home and can actually get to spend time with my kids. thanks for the help guys appreciate it. every cloud has a silver lining.

Congratulations. Enjoy that family time.

Advertisement