Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin media landline which cable is needed?

Options
  • 26-08-2018 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

To connect a second phone to my VM modem for second landline/phone in the house (same number) what is the name of the cable required please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Telephone extension cable, with RG11 connectors each end, example - https://www.woodies.ie/silver-20-metre-irish-telephone-and-broadband-modem-extension-lead-tr812w-907559

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

Do you already have extension sockets wired in the house? If so, you may be able to just plug a cable from the modem into the closest socket and that would make all the other sockets live again.

That's what I did when we got VM installed in December. I also had to disconnect the original phone cable coming into the house, but after that I could use all the other extension sockets like we always had.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭An Cigire

kmurph wrote: »
    Do you already have extension sockets wired in the house? If so, you may be able to just plug a cable from the modem into the closest socket and that would make all the other sockets live again.

That's what I did when we got VM installed in December. I also had to disconnect the original phone cable coming into the house, but after that I could use all the other extension sockets like we always had.

I don’t unfortunately but I can run a pre made cable under my floors as I’ve original floor boards so it’s not a problem.

Do you use one or two house phones on your VM modems?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

An Cigire wrote: »
    I don’t unfortunately but I can run a pre made cable under my floors as I’ve original floor boards so it’s not a problem.

Do you use one or two house phones on your VM modems?

Cheers

Only the TEL1 port is active by default on the VM modem

TEL2 is for a second line and number which you'll have to pay extra for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

My folks plug a cordless base station that has two extra extensions (so two phones downstairs and one upstairs) into the telephone port of their VM modem, runs fine and no need to run cables around the house. If you've a big house or large stone walls that mightn't be an option for you, I guess.

Pretty sure it's this one (I bought it and set it up for them about a year ago so model may have changed slightly).

• Advertisement
Advertisement