Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Story / Your Story

Options
  • 26-08-2018 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

Just thought I'd post a thread for people who wanted to share their journey, good or bad!

I'm gambling about 22 years and for the best part of that I was a degenerate no two ways about it. My father was a good gambler back then and I was looking at him but definitely didn't learn from him.

Back then he hit a couple of shops in the west dublin area for big money in the A vs B market. They actually closed shops. I used to get £10 from him to put bets on for him because I could run fast to the bookies and get bets on.
    Fast forward now and he's still betting so fair play to him!

In regards me, as I said I was bad, very bad. Back in the day when I started gambling I picked a few winners, then it went downhill. I then started calling tipping lines, ran up massive phone bills which I struggled to pay.

I lost my dole every single week, hadn't a pot to piss in.

As times moved along I got a job for roughly 200 quid a week, blew it.

They I got a shift job for over 400 a week and blew this too every single week for years. I moved up through the ranks of the job and a few of us bought horses.
    It was from this I learned about how the handicap mark works.

The ownership was 'ok' but nothing great, we owned a few and landed a few gambles but also shed a few tears too.

I was always good at reading form and got the racing post daily. My selections were always there about's after me picking on the OR 'official ratings,' but always finished 2nd or 3rd or winners.

I knew I was close, so I after one day watching the UK handicapper on tv talking I started a ledger on my own personal ratings and after testing it I was sure I could win.

The problem was, when I wasn't betting and just testing I was 'winning' but when I put it into practice I'd lose. It was nerves. I got this sorted and from that time my ratings have been excellent and I'd win consistently.

From around 2009/10 I'm winning consistently nearly all days. I started off winning 10, then 20, then 50. Now I have no limit, some days 100, 300, 500, 1000, some day's nothing.

You might laugh at the above and think I'm a *****r and that's fine I totally understand and I'm not here to brag. In fact I actually suffer with depression so I don't bet every single day any more like I used to. I'm honest with my figures.

Something I'm sure will bug a few people on here is I'm not an animal lover. I don't care for the horse. I'm in it for the money and nothing else.

What's your story ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

irishgoat wrote: »
    Just thought I'd post a thread for people who wanted to share their journey, good or bad!

I'm gambling about 22 years and for the best part of that I was a degenerate no two ways about it. My father was a good gambler back then and I was looking at him but definitely didn't learn from him.

Back then he hit a couple of shops in the west dublin area for big money in the A vs B market. They actually closed shops. I used to get £10 from him to put bets on for him because I could run fast to the bookies and get bets on.

In regards me, as I said I was bad, very bad. Back in the day when I started gambling I picked a few winners, then it went downhill. I then started calling tipping lines, ran up massive phone bills which I struggled to pay.

They I got a shift job for over 400 a week and blew this too every single week for years. I moved up through the ranks of the job and a few of us bought horses.

The ownership was 'ok' but nothing great, we owned a few and landed a few gambles but also shed a few tears too.

I was always good at reading form and got the racing post daily. My selections were always there about's after me picking on the OR 'official ratings,' but always finished 2nd or 3rd or winners.

I knew I was close, so I after one day watching the UK handicapper on tv talking I started a ledger on my own personal ratings and after testing it I was sure I could win.

The problem was, when I wasn't betting and just testing I was 'winning' but when I put it into practice I'd lose. It was nerves. I got this sorted and from that time my ratings have been excellent and I'd win consistently.

From around 2009/10 I'm winning consistently nearly all days. I started off winning 10, then 20, then 50. Now I have no limit, some days 100, 300, 500, 1000, some day's nothing.

You might laugh at the above and think I'm a *****r and that's fine I totally understand and I'm not here to brag. In fact I actually suffer with depression so I don't bet every single day any more like I used to. I'm honest with my figures.

Something I'm sure will bug a few people on here is I'm not an animal lover. I don't care for the horse. I'm in it for the money and nothing else.

What's your story ?

Genuinely delighted that you are consistently beating the Bookies, although I have to be honest and say I'm sceptical that can do it for that long.

In my experience, the Bookies are fierce quick to close down anyone with a winning streak and only want the mug punters.

Why don't you post your next 5 bets here? The posts are time-stamped so there is no scope for mischief!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭irishgoat

Bradlin wrote: »
    Genuinely delighted that you are consistently beating the Bookies, although I have to be honest and say I'm sceptical that can do it for that long.

In my experience, the Bookies are fierce quick to close down anyone with a winning streak and only want the mug punters.

Why don't you post your next 5 bets here? The posts are time-stamped so there is no scope for mischief!

I'm only still grasping money back I've lost through the years, I've lost a lot!

There are ways around closed accounts don't worry. In regards bets, I won't post them here in this thread but in the daily threads I will. I'll bet most day's but not every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

I'm only still grasping money back I've lost through the years, I've lost a lot!

There are ways around closed accounts don't worry. In regards bets, I won't post them here in this thread but in the daily threads I will. I'll bet most day's but not every day.

Feel free to send me the bets by Private Message and I will report back to the Community here.

Bradlin wrote: »
    Feel free to send me the bets by Private Message and I will report back to the Community here.

lol ok :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Maybe you would find more like minded people in the gambling forum..
    Here mostly people are lovers of the horse who enjoy the occasional bet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I'll take a pm too - just copy/paste - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

What's your story ?

I’m not saying you’re telling lies but I’m positive there are elements of your story that are exaggerated for sure.

There is no way you can go from the ultimate mug punter to superstar system playing consistently winning punter over a few years. A mug from day one is a mug for life, nobody can develop discipline and a conscious thought process once they’ve started on a downward spiral - any professional punter in the world will tell you that. I’ve worked in the industry for almost two decades: in the shops, race room, trading and now AML. I’ve seen it all and I’ve seen them all by 10000x. We do a lot of cross referencing with other firms (the same security systems are used by a lot of the same big firms) and regardless of what people will claim, once you’re flagged with firm A you’re already on the radar in firm B the minute you open your account. If you’re punting in shops you won’t get a bet on, obviously.

Like I said, I’m not saying you’re telling lies but there are parts to your story that are unbelievable and may be exaggerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Motivator wrote: »
    I’m not saying you’re telling lies but I’m positive there are elements of your story that are exaggerated for sure.

There is no way you can go from the ultimate mug punter to superstar system playing consistently winning punter over a few years. A mug from day one is a mug for life, nobody can develop discipline and a conscious thought process once they’ve started on a downward spiral - any professional punter in the world will tell you that. I’ve worked in the industry for almost two decades: in the shops, race room, trading and now AML. I’ve seen it all and I’ve seen them all by 10000x. We do a lot of cross referencing with other firms (the same security systems are used by a lot of the same big firms) and regardless of what people will claim, once you’re flagged with firm A you’re already on the radar in firm B the minute you open your account. If you’re punting in shops you won’t get a bet on, obviously.

Like I said, I’m not saying you’re telling lies but there are parts to your story that are unbelievable and may be exaggerated.

Surely that is fairly dodgy ground with private data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Mostly Harmless

This is nonsense, no pro is a pro from day one, nobody starts winning bundles and nearly everyone loses first year or two when they first get into betting, lessons get learned the hard way - some people learn them and some people don't.

Know a few people who are basically pro punters and a few people who are traders for firms and with the greatest respect nearly everything you are saying is patenetly wrong.

EDIT: I also find the OP's story somewhat hard to believe

My story might be hard to believe but it's true. I use the exchange mostly but the commission I pay is scandalous. If I have a strong win fancy I'll try use the traditional online bookmakers or bricks and mortar shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

I'd wager a fair wedge that your opening post is mostly nonsense.

You were posting on a thread the other day, and just going from race to race picking one out. I'd say you're a million to one to be winning regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    I'd wager a fair wedge that your opening post is mostly nonsense.

You were posting on a thread the other day, and just going from race to race picking one out. I'd say you're a million to one to be winning regularly.

The random Greyville selection this morning wouldn't inspire confidence either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Bound to be a sting in the tail

Advertisement