Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today my son turned 30

Options
  • 25-08-2018 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

As the title of this thread might suggest.... today my son turned 30. It's tricky being the parent of a 30 yr old. He is a wonderful young man, of whom I'm hugely proud. He is in a very loving relationship. I miss his small self hugging me & depending on me & being utterly dependant on me. I miss the little boy he was. I celebrate the man he has become, but I miss my little boy. I drank wine tonight so I'm maudlin. I miss my little boy.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My youngest is well turned 30, my eldest is nearly 50. Life goes on. Soon, hopefully, you will have small grandchildren to make a fuss of and care for. In the meantime its no harder to have a child turn 30 than 20, or 25 or 27, they've been grown up for a while now, its time to let go and look at what you are going to do with the rest of your life.

Though its easy to say let go, in fact they are always there in your mind, you never let them go completely, but you have to kinda pretend you do!

A good few years ago I went to visit my mum; she had had a stroke and could not speak, but could communicate and knew what was going on. She asked me something and after a minute I figured out she was saying something about my age. I said, I turned 60 a good while ago, and the expression on her face was priceless - your children never really grow up in your own mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Thanks looksee. I needed that. Feeling a bit old & scared atm. Thank you :-)

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Mine are in their thirties as well. I've been thinking along these lines myself as well lately. They are unmarried and in pretty good relationships but no grandchildren are planned which saddens me and I foresee losing them to emigration at some stage which tears me apart but I have to put a brave face on it for their sakes. I think back to my own mother who saw my brother emigrate, and its only now I understand how she must have felt. Life's a flippin' circle isn't it? I find myself continuously keeping myself busy so I don't have time to think sad thoughts. I regularly drown myself in oceans of tea (I don't drink). Friendships help. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've been blessed. Mine are as old as 46. All happily married, employed in decent jobs and careers that they really wanted. Grandchildren aplenty. It's another stage and it's a wonderful stage of our lives. All live from 10 to 50 minutes from us and we see them almost every day and enjoy sharing in so much with them. But I still look on them as children most of the time. It's as though they were toddlers then they were leaving school, graduating and married - in the blink of an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Mine is 35 and happily married to a beautiful woman and with two delightful children. But my other son died at 6 and obviously never reached thirty, so count your blessings. Look forward to filling your life with your own pleasures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

All of mine are also Married and in their thirties, and the only thing I see, is, if one reaches say 35 and then have children, it is very hard giving up the lifestyle one already has, all of a sudden, sleepless nights, doctors visits, nappies, crying with theething, I do see that, and they themselves admit it, takes a while to get used to having less holidays, sleep and time for oneself, but it is worth it, I love my ife now, can do what I like when I like

Advertisement