Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer of '84

Options
  • 25-08-2018 10:21pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt5774450/?ref_=fn_al_tt_0

Just watched this earlier. I really enjoyed it.
    Great Saturday night popcorn movie.
    It taps that stranger things 80s vibe. It's never going to win an Oscar but it's far from the worst way to spend just shy of 2 hours on a Saturday night.

Trailer :

Edit: on mobile so trying to put in the YouTube link

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

Where can I see it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

iTunes has it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

The real horror...overwhelming 80s nostalgia.

It's a pretty enjoyable film, although I preferred the director team's first film, Turbo Kid.

This film builds the tension along nicely, but it's not really a
    horror film until the end, more of a mystery thriller.
    I'd like to see a sequel set 10-15 years later, in the mid/late 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

This was really good sort of like IT/Stranger things without the supernatural.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So looks like full on 80s nostalgia, only without any of the smart self-reflection or subversion you got in something like Stranger Things. The movie does look interesting enough in its own right, but that slavish nostalgia is just off putting - at least do something with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

The soundtrack is fairly terrible... loud overbearing 80s retrowave synth style stuff that just always feels out of place.

Otherwise it was actually pretty slim on the 'REMEMBER THE 80s?!?!" style stuff though thankfully.

An idea we've seen before though, not done particularly well. It did get more interesting by the end though, for sure and 'I'd like to see a sequel set 10-15 years later, in the mid/late 90s.' is definitely something I'd like to see too.

Advertisement