Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2007 VW Polo 1.2 over revving during gear change

Options
  • 25-08-2018 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Had this problem for a while (2 years) but want to see about getting it fixed before selling the car.

During gear changes the car will over rev, hold there for a second or two and then fall back to normal. Really noticeable under hard acceleration.

My wife and I adjusted our driving technique (release throttle split second earlier) and we kind of forgot about it.

I don't think it's the clutch as it won't over rev in a high gear at low speed with max throttle.

Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Does it idle steadily?
    what rpm does it idle at?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭balkanhawk

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Does it idle steadily?
    what rpm does it idle at?

Seems steady. Around the 800 mark I think but I'll check

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Usually would be caused by a faulty or incorrectly adjusted clutch pedal switch.

Usually would be caused by a faulty or incorrectly adjusted clutch pedal switch.

Cheers for the idea. Is there a way to test that or do you need a new one to see if it works.

Thanks. So I took it out for a spin today and made the follow observation based on looking at the clutch switch.

When accelerating or at a steady speed and I take my foot off the throttle without touching the clutch the car doesn't begin to decelerate for a second or two.

Would this be normal in small engine cars cars as they need a bit of momentum? Could it be a sticky throttle?

UPDATE: When I rev the engine when NOT driving it doesn't hang for a second or two, the revs drop straight away. I'm stumped.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭howdoyouknow

balkanhawk wrote:
    Would this be normal in small engined cars cars as they need a bit of momentum? Could it be a sticky throttle?

Could be dirt in the injection manifold. Used to be problem on older cars and spaying some carb cleaner into the intake manifold while the engine was running usually cleared it.

Advertisement