Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Paint

Options
  • 25-08-2018 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi All

Need to do all ceilings in my house again - anyone recommend
    decent white paint with good price/quality ratio?

Its just to freshen up.

cheers

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've found that Valspar is great to work with, great finish and very durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Don't skimp on paint. I've always used Dulux or Crown paints and never a problem with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Crown Obliterating White Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

dok_golf wrote: »

Completely agree! Very reasonably priced and excellent coverage. Would recommend it to anyone doing ceilings or as an undercoat on newly skimmed walls, one coat is enough to give complete coverage and great finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭photosmart

Thanks all

So Crown/Dulux are recommended. No major surprise there. Anyone used Johnstones ceiling or trade white? Its only €30 for 10 litres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

photosmart wrote: »
    Thanks all

So Crown/Dulux are recommended. No major surprise there. Anyone used Johnstones ceiling or trade white? Its only €30 for 10 litres.

Haven’t used johnstones. Dulux supermatt is around €30/€35 for 10 litres and will cover in one coat no problem over a previously painted white ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Thanks all

The only time I have used Johnstones paint is when i got my walls and ceilings skimmed with plaster and I watered down 50/50 Johnstone's paint to seal the walls.
    Honestly its not as good as Dulux as the consistancy and quality is not great. Pay the extra and know it's done correctly.

Thanks all

I'll be buying a tub of Dulux supermatt or crown matt tmrw.
    Now just need to get the motivation to actually do the job:pac:

cheers

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Thanks all

Nearly sure I only paid €25 for 10 litres of the Crown covermatt obliterating emulsion in the Crown Centre.

Have used Johnstones many times and you'd want 3 coats to equal 1 coat of the covermatt.

28 euro in galway to Joe Public

• Advertisement

Bought a tub of covermatt today for €26. Didn't see the word "obliterating"
    anywhere so I'm not sure if its the same stuff but I'm sure it'll do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

dok_golf wrote:

Crown white paints, both emulsion and gloss, are quite watery and provide a dull looking finish in comparison to Dulux, for example. For ceilings Fleetwood Ceiling Paint is fine - very easy to apply, using the correct type of brush.

The one mentioned above is Crown trade paint, infinitely better than off the shelf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Keep away from dulux ceiling paint, watery. Supermatt very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭chicorytip

dok_golf wrote:
    The one mentioned above is Crown trade paint, infinitely better than off the shelf.

Oh, I see. Is that much more expensive than the standard type? The only real recommendation I can give the off the shelf brand is it's cheap price.

a little more expensive but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Another vote for Dulux Supermatt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Hi, also jumping in here...Need to buy White paint for Ceiling and Walls in the hallway. Can anyone advise the best paint AND where to buy it?

Based in Cork....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

I'd go with dulux supermatt trade

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

Cona wrote: »
    Hi, also jumping in here...Need to buy White paint for Ceiling and Walls in the hallway. Can anyone advise the best paint AND where to buy it?

Based in Cork....

If you get prices in various shops, go into pat McDonnell’s paint shop and they will beat any price your given elsewhere. Really depends on your budget but stick to dulux or colortrend as they would be the best quality. I know you might say it’s only white paint but trust me, using the cheaper brands will break your heart. Dulux and colortrend are much easier to work with, might be more expensive but well worth spending an extra few quid on.

• Advertisement

Went with crown covermatt for ceiling and it worked out well.

Advertisement