Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal vogue combi fault

Options
  • 25-08-2018 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

The boiler faulted today on low water pressure after I bled a couple of rads. Pressure is showing 0 bar. I introduced water into the system expecting to see the gauge rise to between 1 and 1.5 but it’s still stuck on zero even though I heard flow when I opened the water valves and the boiler now works. But I’m concerned about the pressure reading. Many thanks for any thoughts.

Edit: mains water pressure is good with no change.

Comments

This is usually a indicator of sludgy/contaminated heating water which would have to be determined by a RGI.

There is a very small tube connecting the guage to the boiler and often when the heating water is dirty and you reduce pressure a blockage can prevent the guage from reacting to the increased pressure, the guage can start to work again or be repaired but I would still want to deal with the sludge issue if that’s deemed to be the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

gary71 wrote: »
    This is usually a indicator of sludgy/contaminated heating water which would have to be determined by a RGI.

There is a very small tube connecting the guage to the boiler and often when the heating water is dirty and you reduce pressure a blockage can prevent the guage from reacting to the increased pressure, the guage can start to work again or be repaired but I would still want to deal with the sludge issue if that’s deemed to be the cause.

Thanks. The boiler is only 2 months old. The heating system was flushed. RGI installation.

gebbel wrote: »
    Thanks. The boiler is only 2 months old. The heating system was flushed. RGI installation.

You may find a little bit of jointing compound from installation may have the same effect but if you phone the manufacturers they will be able to identify the fault and repair, it’s a common enough scenario for a guage to become defective after the pressure has dropped and then refilled and I have always found it to be a blockage/pipe kinked rather than the guage being itself defective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

gary71 wrote: »
    You may find a little bit of jointing compound from installation may have the same effect but if you phone the manufacturers they will be able to identify the fault and repair, it’s a common enough scenario for a guage to become defective after the pressure has dropped and then refilled and I have always found it to be a blockage/pipe kinked rather than the guage being itself defective.

OK thanks so you’d call the manufacturers before the installer? Should I be concerned that because I had no working gauge to tell me how much water I added, I may have over pressurized the system? I heard flow when I opened the valves then a while later nothing....possibly as in I filled it to capacity. Thanks.

gebbel wrote: »
    OK thanks so you’d call the manufacturers before the installer? Should I be concerned that because I had no working gauge to tell me how much water I added, I may have over pressurized the system? I heard flow when I opened the valves then a while later nothing....possibly as in I filled it to capacity. Thanks.

If you can I’d wait till the guage is back working.

You have a safety valve on the boiler to release any excess water pressure to outside this would only really be a problem if the safety valve wasn’t piped by the installer.

It’s always good to talk to the installer first but your boiler warranty is with the manufacturers and it can be voided by anyone else working on the boiler.

It can be sometimes quicker to go to the manufacturers direct, if you contact your installer he may need to contact his supplier who may need to contact the distributors who would then contact the manufacturers, you can save a lot of grief going straight to the manufacturers and it prevents the mayhem that can occur like incorrect contact information being given to the service engineer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement