Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hinging 2 PAX wardrobe frames

Options
  • 25-08-2018 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Would it be possible or workable to put one pax wardrobe frame against the wall and a second one in front of it. The first one would be raised on maybe 8mm ply and they would be hinged together?

Given that the ikea stuff is chipboard i am not sure if there would be any way to support the weight. Anyone out there came accross something similar or have some suggestion.

Some the front pax frame would have two doors of its own and then would open away from the one against the wall like a door.

(201cm height x 35 cm Depth x 100cm width)

Ikea frame

331mxlj.jpg

Maybe 5 strap hinges to connect two frame together

2db6icg.jpg

Big concern would be if frames and hinges would be strong enough for regular use

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’re going to have 3 (at least) issues with this:

The wardrobe relies on thin hardboard on the back - and being secured to a wall for its rigidity. Think of a shoe box without its lid. You would need to use a sheet of chipboard or similar on the back of the outer one to solve this.

You can’t support the weight of the outer wardrobe purely on hinges in one corner of only way I can think of getting around this is to put castors on the base of the outer wardrobe so it rolls along the floor, while still being hinged.

The joints on the wardrobe aren’t going to stand up to the extra strain of being moved around.

Overall, it’s not a great idea, but you can make it work if you know what you’re doing. I wouldn’t bother though.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You’re going to have 3 (at least) issues with this:

The wardrobe relies on thin hardboard on the back - and being secured to a wall for its rigidity. Think of a shoe box without its lid. You would need to use a sheet of chipboard or similar on the back of the outer one to solve this.

You can’t support the weight of the outer wardrobe purely on hinges in one corner of only way I can think of getting around this is to put castors on the base of the outer wardrobe so it rolls along the floor, while still being hinged.

The joints on the wardrobe aren’t going to stand up to the extra strain of being moved around.

Overall, it’s not a great idea, but you can make it work if you know what you’re doing. I wouldn’t bother though.

Thanks for that. I was thinking i might need some sort of wheel to support the frame that would be slightly off the floor.

The idea was to use a Pax frame for a kitchen pantry but the deeper frame would mean wasted space as it would be pointless to have things stacked behind each other. I was think to have a shallow pantry at the front and behind to have a hidden closet for brushes, ironing boards etc.

Putting some wheels might help support weight but would be ugly. Maybe it could be trimmed out with some skirting at front and sides?

I was think hinges with large surface area and lots of screws but was uncertain if it could be workable

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You’re much better off getting pull-out drawers/racks.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You’re much better off getting pull-out drawers/racks.

Could be the easier way to go alright

Advertisement