Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re:Intermittent tripping of the RCD

Options
  • 25-08-2018 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

I have had intermittent tripping of the RCD and I had traced it to the kitchen via turning on and off each switch on the panel.

It happened again today and after unplugging everything and turning off all fuse switches it was still tripping??

I then checked the socket for the washing machine and all looked fine. I had after reading about this seen that Dishwashers can cause the trip. So I decided to slide it out and check that socket (Its a double as the fan oven comes off it too). All looked fine plugs not burnt and no sign of scorhing or smell from the socket. I decided to take both plugs out and turn the kitchen back on and low and behold no trip! I plugged the fan oven back in and nothing. Took it back out and plugged the dishwasher in and "trip" so it has to be the dishwasher...yes??

Now what I remembered then was I did not actually turn the fuse switch back in while doing this. Surly there should be no power getting to the socket as a result. So why did it trip??

Any thought and solutions would be appreciated??

ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

You have a faulty dishwasher.

The most likely reason for it tripping with the "fuse switch" off is that the fuse switch only isolates the live and not the neutral. This is normal.

(You have what is called an Earth-Neutral fault in the dishwasher, could be a faulty element, faulty motor or something has got wet that shouldn't be)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭matjay

You have a faulty dishwasher.

The most likely reason for it tripping with the "fuse switch" off is that the fuse switch only isolates the live and not the neutral. This is normal.

Thanks for the reply,

I have since checked the double socket and it seems to be still live, even with the fuse switch off??

Now if the fuse switch is off the Dishwasher or fan oven do not turn on, so that tells me its off and no power! But why would there be power when testing with a phase tester? Im thinking there may be a trickle getting through the fuse switch to the socket but not enough to power on the appliances?

Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

matjay wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

I have since checked the double socket and it seems to be still live, even with the fuse switch off??

Now if the fuse switch is off the Dishwasher or fan oven do not turn on, so that tells me its off and no power! But why would there be power when testing with a phase tester? Im thinking there may be a trickle getting through the fuse switch to the socket but not enough to power on the appliances?

Is this normal?

"testing with a phase tester", perhaps the most inappropriately named tool, and also one of the most useless ones too. (A terrible screwdriver and an unreliable tester). They can light up due to induced voltages or fail to light when mains is present.

When you know what you are doing they can be used as a quick check, but anyone who knows what they are doing usually has a proper meter anyway!

It is likely that everything is okay with the wiring, however it is also possible that you have a problem, but I can't make that call based on a "phase tester"

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭matjay

"testing with a phase tester", perhaps the most inappropriately named tool, and also one of the most useless ones too. (A terrible screwdriver and an unreliable tester). They can light up due to induced voltages or fail to light when mains is present.

When you know what you are doing they can be used as a quick check, but anyone who knows what they are doing usually has a proper meter anyway!

It is likely that everything is okay with the wiring, however it is also possible that you have a problem, but I can't make that call based on a "phase tester"

Thanks BrightSpark,

My Dads friend is a Sparks and i am going to run it by him. The trip has only happened 5-6 times in the last 16 months and the Dishwasher is new from a new kitchen install same time.

Its just weird how it only trips sometimes and not all the time?? Im wondering could it be condensation inside the machine? Due to it being enclosed??

Cheers

J

Advertisement