Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Internet to son's room

Options
  • 25-08-2018 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭

I have my telephone line and router (with Erigeron internet) located in my hall entrance as per most homes.

Son's room is upstairs and he says that the wireless signal to his Xbox is slow.

So.. he is running an Ethernet cable we have ( that is extra long) direct from his Xbox down the stairs and into back of the router. Wife is going mad thinking someone will break their neck over this wire

I bought a set of BT plugs .... but the signal breaks down every so often. Reading on same .. something to do with the electrical sockets need to be on the same circuit as the BT relies on sending the signal along the electrical wire??

So ..... am back to the cable running up the stairs and into his room along the floor!!!!!

Can anyone give me other options to look at getting direct access to the router???

Many thanks.... from a Dad who seems to be the worst dad in the world cos he doesn't have the answers!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

I think you would need to define "slow" Kids expect everything to be instant these days!

What sort of BB package are you signed up to?
    How far is the router from the Xbox?
    Is the wifi 2.4 Ghz or 5.0?
    What performance are you getting as measured on other wifi devices?
    Are the homeplugs sharing sockets with anything, even standard double sockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you sure this isnt son posting??????!!!!!*** :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Masala

homer911 wrote: »
    I think you would need to define "slow" Kids expect everything to be instant these days!

What sort of BB package are you signed up to?
    How far is the router from the Xbox?
    Is the wifi 2.4 Ghz or 5.0?
    What performance are you getting as measured on other wifi devices?
    Are the homeplugs sharing sockets with anything, even standard double sockets?

I on efibre. No problem on iPad , laptops, sky movies, etc. Couldn’t tell u speed or MHz .... not that technical. The BT plugs are on own socket in a double socket. Not plugged into extension cord etc.

And no... son hasn’t got hold of my login to Boards to post....!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

You could use Homeplugs. basically you plug one of these into a socket with an eternet cable to your router then with the second one upstairs in your sons room you plug the other one in and with another ethernet cable plug it into the console, It'll act like a fully wired connection except for the part trailing all the way upstairs.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5742734/Trail/searchtext%3EHOMEPLUGS.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Sciprio wrote: »
    You could use Homeplugs. basically you plug one of these into a socket with an eternet cable to your router then with the second one upstairs in your sons room you plug the other one in and with another ethernet cable plug it into the console, It'll act like a fully wired connection except for the part trailing all the way upstairs.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5742734/Trail/searchtext%3EHOMEPLUGS.htm

I think he's tried that already. Or are BT plugs something different?
    Masala wrote: »
    I bought a set of BT plugs .... but the signal breaks down every so often. Reading on same .. something to do with the electrical sockets need to be on the same circuit as the BT relies on sending the signal along the electrical wire??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Masala wrote:
    I on efibre. No problem on iPad , laptops, sky movies, etc. Couldn’t tell u speed or MHz .... not that technical. The BT plugs are on own socket in a double socket. Not plugged into extension cord etc.

If he's playing games live online he needs faster connection than running netflix or sky movies. I'm not technical either but just know games online especially if he's playing with others online is demanding.

Be careful with your usage if you don't have unlimited data. Games can a lot of data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If he's playing games live online he needs faster connection than running netflix or sky movies. I'm not technical either but just know games online especially if he's playing with others online is demanding.

Be careful with your usage if you don't have unlimited data. Games can a lot of data

It varies by game, but it is surprisingly not any near as demanding as you might think in terms of watching a high definition movie on Netflix or sky movies Of far more importance is your ping time to the host server that is running the game, or even just generally your ping time to any website on the Internet. A lower (smaller) ping time is better.

https://www.nbnco.com.au/blog/entertainment/how-much-data-does-gaming-use-through-popular-examples.html

OP, the only solutions I can think of is the one you are trying with the electrical plugs, or maybe a wifi booster for upstairs. But if he's watching movies wirelessly already upstairs, I don't think that's the problem, and it's just your general ping time with network latency from your provider.

By the way... If youre watching a movie on the existing Internet connection, and he is trying to play a game, and someone else is doing something else, then this will slow down the router traffic for everyone.

Muppet man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

DeepBlue wrote: »
    I think he's tried that already. Or are BT plugs something different?
    I know eircom give you them for your efibre but to get another wired connection in another part of the house without trailing leads is using another pair of those homeplugs in the link. I have a pair but have no need for them but it works has i tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

I’m not the most knowledgeable with networking but for gaming it’s not about bandwidth i.e having 100mb per second line. It’s all about ping, which is how quick the signal reaches the server.

A fibre optic wired connection will always trump wireless and power lines. There are some expensive wireless routes that’s do there best to bridge the gap which are specifically built for gaming but I’ve never tested one.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If it works on cable then it’s not a capacity issue with Eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sundodger5

might not be for you but in my situation to get better coverage to other parts of the house i picked up a cheap secondhand router and used wireless bridge mode.
    Loads of tutorials available on how to set it up available

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Masala

sundodger5 wrote: »
    might not be for you but in my situation to get better coverage to other parts of the house i picked up a cheap secondhand router and used wireless bridge mode.
    Loads of tutorials available on how to set it up available

That’s what I probably have to do. In summary.... what would it involve. I have spare routers in work ( the old silver box given by Eir when you upgraded a line to broadband) ... would these work???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

I'm guessing he is connecting to the 5GHz signal. This has speed but poor penetration through walls. Same in my house with son's room not directly above router but across house from it upstairs.

The 2.4GHz is slower (but if your BB is good enough it will be ok for Xbox) so get his Xbox to forget the 5GHz and use the 2.4GHz signal log on. I am assuming you are broadcasting both signals.

Also, I have 300Mb (apparently) from virgin and my son complains about the BB. Typically when he looses a match online, he blames the BB. You can't win that argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Forget about wireless - run ducting to a corner and up the wall... drill and feed cable (do two while you're at it) through ceiling and floor... job's a good'n. Handy if son's bedroom is above the hallway... if it's not then swap bedrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

One other thought. I assume your BT plugs are homeplug type.

I use TP-Link kit. Similar to mine is on Amazon if you search for TP-link TL-PA4010Kit for £24.

Press a button on bottom on one, then press same on other one and they start to talk. One Ethernet cable from one to port on router and then Ethernet cable from other to Xbox. That's all the networking done. He then sets up in internet on Xbox as wired.

My AV500 versions are on 3 years and I have had to reset them less than once a year.

They just need to be on the same fuseboard circuit (like most normal homes) and not on an extension cord. You can get versions with a 3 pin plug on the front of them so you don't loose the socket to just the homeplug.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,089 ✭✭✭mada999

yup dont plug the homeplugs into an adapter or extension lead... they need to be connected directly to the plug socket

Advertisement