Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with strange order from account

Options
  • 24-08-2018 9:24pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,155 ✭✭✭✭

hi all, first off im not an xbox user, im a dad of kids that do, so apologies if this comes across as naive or my terminology is wrong.

so the story is, i came across a 39.99 payment out of my bank account today, so i though one of the kids must have purchased something without asking, so i was going to get to the bottom of it this evening. ask the lads and no, they hadnt bought anything, so i got them to check their order histories in their profiles and lo and behold there was a fortnight bundle purchased... but under it was "gifted to XXXXXXX".... and when i queried the lads i found it was one of their friends accounts. so the obvious question was did they buy it as a gift as the order stated and nope. so we rang the kid

the kid says "yeah i got that yesterday, but i got it from finding a code online which allowed me get it for free".... we were on video chat and he showed me his order history ,nothing on it which stated it had come as a gift from my sons account. he also swears that my sons account isnt on his xbox, and my sons couldnt think of any reason it should be.

so my questions are:
    1. if theres a debit card associated with an account, surely you still need the PIN to make purchases? no?

2. has anyone heard of codes that can do this somehow? is the kid talking crap? how does the gifting process work?

3. whats the possibility of a refund, will microsoft be able to see that the order didnt come physically from from my sons xbox in our house? or does that matter at all?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

When you attach a payment method to your MS account it will remember it and you can use it without any PIN or password unless you set it to require one, for example I don't need to use one on my Xbox for anything but when I was sharing a place with someone else I set it to require one so they couldn't purchase anything on my console. I would recommend that you do that and also set up two step verification for the account so that you need to verify your identity with a text or using an app before you can login on a new device, it should be under the security section on the website for your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Either your sons bought the game as a gift for there friend (it would not show up on the friends payment history as he has not paid for it, he only received it)
    Or your sons friend has access to your sons account and bought it for himself.
    Either way one of them is lying.
    You can set up a two step verification for the account as well as set a security pin before buying anything, so your card can't be misused.

There is a great chance that you will be refunded (assuming you have not abused the refund process) if you ring them up.
    I'm not sure regards to gifting if its the same but I bought a cod infinity warfare digitally and after a full week of playing it I regretted buying it as I lost interest in them types of games, phoned up Microsoft and they refunded me.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Terrible position for you to be in... You should be able to get a refund though.

Navigate to account.microsoft.com and sign-in.
    From the top menu bar, select Payment & billing > Order history.
    Navigate to a purchased game or app, and select Request a refund.

You might be able to get more information if you ring Microsoft but unfortunately it sounds like too much of a coincidence and someone in that trio isn't being truthful...

Fortnite allows you to refund purchases in the game (They give you 3 or 4 refunds I think). Problem is they refund you vbucks which is the in game currency. Still it's better than nothing if all else fails.

Is it an actual friend or just an account on their friend list? It's possible they may have been scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »

There is a great chance that you will be refunded (assuming you have not abused the refund process) if you ring them up.
    I'm not sure regards to gifting if its the same but I bought a cod infinity warfare digitally and after a full week of playing it I regretted buying it as I lost interest in them types of games, phoned up Microsoft and they refunded me.

Hmmmmm.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,155 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah it looks like it's coming from the other kids actions.

Im partially at fault for not having a better security authority on the card.
    My sons partially at fault for putting his profile onto someone else's xbox
    But the other kid, if he's ordered through my sons account is the major responsible party.

I've emailed Microsoft in accordance with their refund policy, and I'll ring them on Monday.

In the mean time I've removed the card from my sons account, but I can't remove it from my other sons account as its tied to sub renewal. I'll just up the security on it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,180 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wonder did they set up game sharing unbeknownst to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Hmmmmm.

Hmmmmmm ?

They do refunds just don't abuse it.

Advertisement