Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From stove to open fire

Options
  • 24-08-2018 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

We bought the house in 2004. It had a coal effect gas fire. In 2013 we got the gas cut off and installed a stove. I loved the stove but DH hated it, so eventually, I sold it, so now it's gone. We still have the cast iron fireplace and I'd like to get it put back and have an open fire. Today I got a quote from a reputable company of 570 euro. I was advised that they'd have to take the cast iron fireplace away to fill with cement/concrete(?) so that it would lie flush with the wall/surround and they'd also need to put a piece just inside the chimney (can't remember the name of it)

I'm wondering if the price is reasonable, if not, is anyone out there in Kildare able to do the job for less? I'd love to get it done before the weather changes.

Thankyou in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Not what ye want to hear OP but here goes. We did the opposite to you about 8 years ago. I wouldn't go back. the amount of heat lost up the chimney is HUGE.

What did DH dislike about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

He just loved being able to flick a switch and have a fire! I love the work and mess that goes with a stove or open fire :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Ah OK then, so he doesn't want a stove or an open fire?

I'm more than a little confused.

When we replaced our open grate with a stove, we closed in the chimney around the stack - putting the grate back would be minimal. The chimney is only sealed with fireboard so ....

If he could have the gas fire back he would, but the gas has gone so it has to be open fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the gas is gone and your husband hates the mess of a fire, I don't see what you're gaining by putting an open fire in.

Would you not get a new stove installed?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Put the open fire in. Get a new hubby!😂

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

In typical boards fashion not one reply (including my one) addresses the question the OP actually asked :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This needs pictures,

Usually a stove is installed inset or offset the existing fireplace. Standard procedure is a new flue is thrown down the existing one and poured with vermiculite to fill the cap between the new flue and old. And then joints are put in place to the Stove itself.

Reversing that would be easy, remove the stove, new flue and joints.

Its not clear what install was done here though so without pictures its hard to answer any questions

I would say though that its a stupid idea for your DH because it will be used infrequently throughout the year and it will be literally an opening to the outside world for the rest of the year. - draught / heatloss.

Hed be better of spending the money and a few nights away to the Aran islands each year in an old cottage if they want to get jiggy in front of the fire. :)

Apologies for not replying to comments. Fireplace is being put back in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks
    T*

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Apologies for not replying to comments. Fireplace is being put back in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks
    T*

The gas is not gone, its just disconnected: did someome come and dig it out of your driveway? :D

Forgot about the open fire.
    Get a glass fronted gas fire: it does three things
    1. saves heat (loss) when it is off
    2. is c 70% efficient.
    3. is safe for kids, OAPs and inebriated adults as no naked flame

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

The gas is not gone, its just disconnected: did someome come and dig it out of your driveway? :D

Forgot about the open fire.
    Get a glass fronted gas fire: it does three things
    1. saves heat (loss) when it is off
    2. is c 70% efficient.
    3. is safe for kids, OAPs and inebriated adults as no naked flame

I thought it can't be reconnected once it's been disconnected?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I thought it can't be reconnected once it's been disconnected?

is the meter/meter box still there?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

is the meter/meter box still there?

Yes, the gas was disconnected from the fire but our central heating/hob uses gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Isn't a solid fuel stove a reasonable compromise?

Having had both solid fuel open fire and solid fuel stove, the stove is far superior.

You don't need a fireguard, it's less draughty, it seems more efficient at heating the room, it's more controllable, it's easier to clean (no rummaging under the grate). You still get to see the flames through the glass.

There's nothing I can think of about an open fire that's better.

Lumen wrote: »
    Isn't a solid fuel stove a reasonable compromise?

Having had both solid fuel open fire and solid fuel stove, the stove is far superior.

You don't need a fireguard, it's less draughty, it seems more efficient at heating the room, it's more controllable, it's easier to clean (no rummaging under the grate). You still get to see the flames through the glass.

There's nothing I can think of about an open fire that's better.

I've sold the stove :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've sold the stove :(
    Oh sorry. Never mind then!

The only thing I don't like about my stoves is that they're leaking smoke into the rooms, but that's probably fixable with attention to flues and seals (I didn't install them, they came with the house).

Lung cancer from burning solid fuel is a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lumen wrote: »
    Oh sorry. Never mind then!

The only thing I don't like about my stoves is that they're leaking smoke into the rooms, but that's probably fixable with attention to flues and seals (I didn't install them, they came with the house).

Lung cancer from burning solid fuel is a thing.

Room ventilation is a key factor in this. - some have no vents in the room at all. Or sealed them up.

Which would cause this problem.

Advertisement