Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Dublin zonal tickets for leap card

Options
  • 24-08-2018 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭

Bus Eireann sell zonal tickets for leap card

If you buy one of these, can you also use it on other forms of transport within the zone.

Or is it only unlimited use of Bus Eireann within the zone?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's a Bus Eireann ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

the "ticket" element will only be valid on Dublin bus, but you will be able to top up the leap card with cash to use on other public transport options.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm not sure of the point of it then as the zonal ticket is a fair bit more than two one-way journeys

Take Drogheda to Busaras as an example.

24 hour pass costs 18.20

Leap single is 6.09

Only way you could save on the former is if it is actually a 24 hour ticket and you got three journeys in....saving yourself a grand total of 7c. Is it really a 24 hour pass? So if you got it at 9am one morning, travelled there and back one day and got on the bus again at 8am the next morning you'd be grand?

Another example in the same zone is Enfield to Dublin is 6.55 on single leap

Why is there such a premium then? For the 24 hour pass I mean

TheShow wrote: »
    the "ticket" element will only be valid on Dublin bus, but you will be able to top up the leap card with cash to use on other public transport options.

Are you sure you mean Dublin Bus?

• Advertisement

Are you sure you mean Dublin Bus?

bus eireann i meant...

Are there any integrated tickets?

Seems basi enough to me.

So if you have to travel on say Dart and Luas you'll need two separate tickets? No way to get a ticket that will cover different modes of transport together?

How does that affect if you want to get a taxsaver ticket? Do you have to buy separate ones for each?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Seems basi enough to me.

So if you have to travel on say Dart and Luas you'll need two separate tickets? No way to get a ticket that will cover different modes of transport together?

How does that affect if you want to get a taxsaver ticket? Do you have to buy separate ones for each?

Various different Taxsaver ticket types the cheaper ones are only valid on one type of service. The more expensive ones are valid on all services.

https://www.taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Types/

Seems basi enough to me.

You can get multiple tickets on the leap card, so technically it is integrated, but not really.
    For tax saver, you can get train tickets that include bus/luas to connolly from Heuston, but I'm not sure if you can get multiple tax savers on one leap card as you're essentially applying to different companies for the ticket which they will issue on a leap card.

ok thanks for the replies.

I'm still not sure why this 24 hour ticket option exists for Bus Eireann.

I could understand a zonal ticket for Dublin Bus or Luas because you could be zipping around the city but given that Bus Eireann don't pick up passengers within the city on the way into the city, or drop them off within the city on the way out, you necessarily have to be making long journeys when you stay only on Bus Eireann. And the number of people making multiple long journeys in a day would be fairly minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

ok thanks for the replies.

I'm still not sure why this 24 hour ticket option exists for Bus Eireann.

I could understand a zonal ticket for Dublin Bus or Luas because you could be zipping around the city but given that Bus Eireann don't pick up passengers within the city on the way into the city, or drop them off within the city on the way out, you necessarily have to be making long journeys when you stay only on Bus Eireann. And the number of people making multiple long journeys in a day would be fairly minimal.

They've been challenged on it. They reference it can be used as much as you want within the time period and don't accept most people just want a return ticket.

With regards to integrated tickets... It's been taken that payment through Leap Card is the integration. There's very few tickets that are over multiple operators and I think as linked earlier, they are just Taxsavers.

But going from a Dart to Luas, there's automatic discounts on fares through a Leap90 feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take Drogheda to Busaras as an example.

24 hour pass costs 18.20

Leap single is 6.09
    That's the problem with concentric zone fares. Boarding at Drogheda, your fare covers you as far as Trim, Enfiled, Kildare town and Wicklow town.

1487149565_content_main.png

But that's still 2 legs. You're hardly going to go from Drogheda to trim via Dublin city.

But that's still 2 legs. You're hardly going to go from Drogheda to trim via Dublin city.

Even if you are, the 24 hour pass only makes sense if you are going there and back the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

TheShow wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you can get multiple tax savers on one leap card as you're essentially applying to different companies for the ticket which they will issue on a leap card.

yes you can. ive got luas and Dublin bus annual tickets on mine. BTW it is not treated or priced as 2 seperate tickets. It is integrated.

yes you can. ive got luas and Dublin bus annual tickets on mine. BTW it is not treated or priced as 2 seperate tickets. It is integrated.

Very much depends on the operators. That ticket existed before leap and transferred onto leap.

The leap card itself can only hold so many individual tickets. If you need a multitude of individual operators tickets to commute. You need to revise what you are doing.

Advertisement