Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A couple first timer questions..

Options
  • 24-08-2018 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Wannabe Motorcyclist questions..

-Was the IBT course ever an optional course that you didn't have to do?
    I have one or two friends that keep saying its not mandatory. (Websites say it is) but I just want to know were they right at some point about that or are they misinformed.

-Being 29 in a week, and picking up my provisional with in the next week also, what category motorcycle will be on my licence? as I have never driven before will my learner permit restrict me to lower engine sizes?
    Or can I be a learner and have any sized of an engine CC?

-Are there many Insurance companies that do Motorcycle insurance?
    I work in Insurance but we don't do motorcycles, so I wouldn't know that area of insurance well.
    what companies do it, who's the best company to start with?

-Any good suggestions for PPE retailers?
    most are based in Dublin unfortunately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

sicarr wrote: »
    Wannabe Motorcyclist questions..

-Was the IBT course ever an optional course that you didn't have to do?
    I have one or two friends that keep saying its not mandatory. (Websites say it is) but I just want to know were they right at some point about that or are they misinformed.

IBT has been mandatory in Ireland for a good few years now. Back in the day you could go and get your licence and go straight on the road, just like with cars back then too.
    -Being 29 in a week, and picking up my provisional with in the next week also, what category motorcycle will be on my licence? as I have never driven before will my learner permit restrict me to lower engine sizes?
    Or can I be a learner and have any sized of an engine CC?

As you're over the age of 24 you can go for the A licence. Legally you can drive any CC motorcycle, but you'll have a hell of a time getting insured on anything about 650cc.

650cc is more than enough to start off with. Don't go straight to a 1200cc racing bike.

-Are there many Insurance companies that do Motorcycle insurance?
    I work in Insurance but we don't do motorcycles, so I wouldn't know that area of insurance well.
    what companies do it, who's the best company to start with?

I'm with Principal Insurance and they've been great. There's also Carole Nash and Liberty

-Any good suggestions for PPE retailers?
    most are based in Dublin unfortunately.

This kinda depends on where you are based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Sportbikeshop are what I used to buy some gear, they have huge stock and also customer reviews etc, sizing can be tricky and many will suggest going to a shop to find something that you know fits - but expect to pay quite a bit more.

Personally I do it online as Sportbikes return policy is great if you need to return something that doesn't fit. Generally people include their height and waist etc in their reviews on products and what size they actually bought.

I also check youtube to see if there's any reviews on something I'm interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭phildin

The IBT is definitely mandatory, and you will need to carry your certificate with you while you are riding on your learner permit.

The class of your LP will be whatever class you applied for: A2/A. Since you're 29 there's no reason not to apply for the full A which I assume you have done. Once you pass your IBT, you can ride whatever you like, just don't forget to wear your L tabard.

I'm with Principal Insurance and they have been very good to deal with although you only really know if/when you make a claim which thankfully I haven't had to do. Carole Nash were also good to deal with, I got my first policy with them.

One thing to look out for with your insurance is commuting to work, make sure that's not excluded. I spotted this by chance on my first policy (the agent never mentioned it) and I was able to cancel the policy and get a full refund. Even if you're not planning to commute regularly, one trip to work will count as commuting and should anything happen, you could be considered to be riding without insurance.

Finally, I did my IBT with Tony Moore, he's a good guy that knows loads about riding safely so I like to give him a shout out whenever it comes up.

Good luck,
    Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sicarr

Sonics2k, IrishGrimReaper, phildin, Thanks so much all of you have been really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'm with Principal too. I started with Carol Nash though, they were the best rate for learners at the time. 
    Try do the IBT before the season is over. Not many dry or bright days left and learning in the winter commuter traffic won't be much fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

if you are only getting your first provisional driving licence and have not specifically applied for a bike provisional then you will probably have no permit on your licence to ride any type of bike. you will need to apply for a provision licence in the category that you require. as you are above 24 yrs old, may aswell go for cat A.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

TheShow wrote: »
    if you are only getting your first provisional driving licence and have not specifically applied for a bike provisional then you will probably have no permit on your licence to ride any type of bike. you will need to apply for a provision licence in the category that you require. as you are above 24 yrs old, may aswell go for cat A.

Hate to be pedantic but there can be a lot of confusion caused by fuzzylanguage. Firstly, the OP needs a learner permit, there hasn't been 'provisional licences' since 2006. To sharpen your point a little, the OP will need to apply for a learner permit with the appropriate 'learner categories'.

I'm not just being awkward but think of it this way - you are entitled to hold one full licence and that licence may have a variety of full licence entitlements as a driver passes different tests. Similarly, the OP or anyone may only hold one learner permit and may add learner categories as desired. These learner categories are then transferred from their only learner permit to their only full licence on passing the test as a new 'full licence entitlement'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sicarr

cantdecide wrote: »
    Hate to be pedantic but there can be a lot of confusion caused by fuzzylanguage. Firstly, the OP needs a learner permit, there hasn't been 'provisional licences' since 2006. To sharpen your point a little, the OP will need to apply for a learner permit with the appropriate 'learner categories'.

I'm not just being awkward but think of it this way - you are entitled to hold one full licence and that licence may have a variety of full licence entitlements as a driver passes different tests. Similarly, the OP or anyone may only hold one learner permit and may add learner categories as desired. These learner categories are then transferred from their only learner permit to their only full licence on passing the test as a new 'full licence entitlement'.

"Hate to be pedantic"? Doesn't sound it, but thanks for the feedback.

I don't think the feedback was directed at you :D

And yes that's being pedantic lol

I don't think the feedback was directed at you :D

And yes that's being pedantic lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

cantdecide wrote: »

Fair call, might as well have it crystal clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

IBT is mandatory and go for the A as you are over 24. If you get the A licence you can ride what you want. September/October is the right time to do the IBT and keep up the practice to pass the test in March/April. This was how it worked out for me when I finally decided to start biking. Dark nights, bad weather, leaves etc. Is what I started with and rode through the winter honing skills and preparing for the test. It's not without risk but will stand to you in the long term.
    Mr. 'Pedantic is 100% on the LP and Principal is the only option these days for a newbie. The bike insurance market here only has 3 or 4 options.
    Are you based in Dublin? If so Cotters for starter gear and spend on it, It's your only protection and a good IBT outfit will steer you right on that score.

Best of luck

Advertisement