Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hikvision CCTV distorted picture

Options
  • 24-08-2018 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

I have a Hikvision CCTV system in my house, with 8 cameras in total. One of the cameras has a severely distorted picture, and I'm hoping that by sharing the footage, someone here could help me troubleshoot and resolve the problem.

I've already tried swapping out the camera with a known working camera, and I've also swapped the power supply with a new one. From googling, it seems that I might have either a ground loop problem or a problem with the coaxial cable.
    I really hope that it's not an issue with the coaxial cable, because I have no way of changing that cable - it went in when the house was being built.

I don't think there are any other power lines running close to the camera's power line. If it is a ground loop problem, would a ground loop isolator resolve the issue? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭altor

Eireann81 wrote: »
    I have a Hikvision CCTV system in my house, with 8 cameras in total. One of the cameras has a severely distorted picture, and I'm hoping that by sharing the footage, someone here could help me troubleshoot and resolve the problem.

I've already tried swapping out the camera with a known working camera, and I've also swapped the power supply with a new one. From googling, it seems that I might have either a ground loop problem or a problem with the coaxial cable.
    I really hope that it's not an issue with the coaxial cable, because I have no way of changing that cable - it went in when the house was being built.

I don't think there are any other power lines running close to the camera's power line. If it is a ground loop problem, would a ground loop isolator resolve the issue? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

If you have tested with another camera it may be the cable.
    Have you tried having the bnc connections changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Eireann81

altor wrote: »
    If you have tested with another camera it may be the cable.
    Have you tried having the bnc connections changed?

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the bnc connections, but unfortunately it didn't improve the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭pegasuspub

is this camera on a different power supply? is it in the same building and on the same esb connection/fuse board?
    how many power supplies are you using?

pegasuspub wrote: »
    is this camera on a different power supply? is it in the same building and on the same esb connection/fuse board?
    how many power supplies are you using?

Thanks for the reply. There is a separate power supply for each camera. It's in the same building and fuse board. I tried turning off all of the other cameras, but it didn't help the picture distortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭pegasuspub

have you tried swapping this input on the dvr, ie swap 3 and 4 just in case its the dvr,
    i did see one 16 channel hikvision dvr with a similar distortion on the picture but it was on 4 channels of the 16, updating the firmware of dvr fixed it.
    the picture fault does look similar to an earth loop issue but i have only seen earth loop faults in large buildings with mains 230 volt cameras i'm afraid.

• Advertisement

pegasuspub wrote: »
    have you tried swapping this input on the dvr, ie swap 3 and 4 just in case its the dvr,
    i did see one 16 channel hikvision dvr with a similar distortion on the picture but it was on 4 channels of the 16, updating the firmware of dvr fixed it.
    the picture fault does look similar to an earth loop issue but i have only seen earth loop faults in large buildings with mains 230 volt cameras i'm afraid.

Thanks for your input. I just tried swapping the inputs on the DVR, but unfortunately it didn't make any difference. The firmware is up to date too.

I reckon I'll have to take the camera down, and try changing the bnc connector again. If that doesn't work, I can only guess that the coaxial cable is broken somewhere in the wall.

Advertisement