Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

heating switch on/off

Options
  • 24-08-2018 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Have some troubles with the APT heating switch. Or could be it something else faulty ...

Noticed few days ago the APT switch had no power. So was planning to get someone to get it replaced, until yesterday morning: I hear there is sound coming from the little APT switch, and when I put the switch on - it starts, so does my heating.
    But within an hour after putting the switch on, I noticed power drops couple of times in the house (the fridge & router restarts).
    Then I rang someone I found short notice, told them about the switch + power drops - they came, checked that while it does have a funny sound, anything at the back of the switch doesn't seem to be burned. He checks the electrical control - everything there seemed neat - then replaces the APT with a new switch.

Tonite I realize I have not heating again, and the new APT switch seems to be with no power.
    So what else can be causing this ? appears duplicate behavior for the same item that was changed.
    - not too many appliances are on at nite - couldn't notice if I had power drops.
    - recently moved to this house, it is a 2004/05 built - so I have no history.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

mvl wrote: »
    Have some troubles with the APT heating switch. Or could be it something else faulty ...

Noticed few days ago the APT switch had no power. So was planning to get someone to get it replaced, until yesterday morning: I hear there is sound coming from the little APT switch, and when I put the switch on - it starts, so does my heating.
    But within an hour after putting the switch on, I noticed power drops couple of times in the house (the fridge & router restarts).
    Then I rang someone I found short notice, told them about the switch + power drops - they came, checked that while it does have a funny sound, anything at the back of the switch doesn't seem to be burned. He checks the electrical control - everything there seemed neat - then replaces the APT with a new switch.

Tonite I realize I have not heating again, and the new APT switch seems to be with no power.
    So what else can be causing this ? appears duplicate behavior for the same item that was changed.
    - not too many appliances are on at nite - couldn't notice if I had power drops.
    - recently moved to this house, it is a 2004/05 built - so I have no history.

Thanks.

I have a feeling that there was nothing wrong with the Apt switch and it was a waste of time and money replacing it. Was the person who replaced it an electrician? (I'm guessing he wasn't)

I would get a competent electrician to have a look at your distribution board to see if there are any loose connections.
    Are lighting circuits affected by the power drops? I'm assuming they're not because you haven't mentioned it and the problem was noticed at night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

aido79 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that there was nothing wrong with the Apt switch and it was a waste of time and money replacing it. Was the person who replaced it an electrician? (I'm guessing he wasn't)

I would get a competent electrician to have a look at your distribution board to see if there are any loose connections.
    Are lighting circuits affected by the power drops? I'm assuming they're not because you haven't mentioned it and the problem was noticed at night time.

He is an electrician, and would contact him in the morning; he said either himself or other staff would get back if anything else comes up.
    Lighting is not affected from what I've seen yesterday morning when I was in the kitchen. The fridge made noise, and the wifi got restarted.
    Its the first time I've seen these drops myself, but I am I work during the day.

So the electrician, after he checked the board said to assume for now its a coincidence having the old APT with no power for 2 days, then back without me doing anything to it, then seeing power drops.
    I may have not provided enough information for further diagnostics, or the fault is too new and needs more time troubleshooting.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

mvl wrote: »
    He is an electrician, and would contact him in the morning; he said either himself or other staff would get back if anything else comes up.
    Lighting is not affected from what I've seen yesterday morning when I was in the kitchen. The fridge made noise, and the wifi got restarted.
    Its the first time I've seen these drops myself, but I am I work during the day.

So the electrician, after he checked the board said to assume for now its a coincidence having the old APT with no power for 2 days, then back without me doing anything to it, then seeing power drops.
    I may have not provided enough information for further diagnostics, or the fault is too new and needs more time troubleshooting.

Best advice is to get the electrician back to have a look at it. I don't agree with his thinking of assuming it's a coincidence that the old APT had no power for 2 days. Power doesn't magically disappear and come back again with a reason...usually an electrical fault.

Advertisement