Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ucc - starting college Nerves HELP

Options
  • 24-08-2018 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I’m starting college in Ucc in September, this is my first time moving away from home and I feel really anxious. Some of my friends will also be going to Ucc so it’s nice to know I’ll be in cork with them but none of us are in the same accommodation. My accommodation is actually nearer to Cit than Ucc so I’m presuming it’ll be mainly Cit students. I’m worried that I won’t make friends or that I’ll be left out and stuff, my anxiety is kicking in, can someone give advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bradlin

Annc999 wrote: »
    I’m starting college in Ucc in September, this is my first time moving away from home and I feel really anxious. Some of my friends will also be going to Ucc so it’s nice to know I’ll be in cork with them but none of us are in the same accommodation. My accommodation is actually nearer to Cit than Ucc so I’m presuming it’ll be mainly Cit students. I’m worried that I won’t make friends or that I’ll be left out and stuff, my anxiety is kicking in, can someone give advice

Get involved in as many Societies in College as you possibly can. And not just as a member. Offer to help as a volunteer and that will quickly get you on the inside track. My big regret in College was that I didn't join as many societies as I should have. I thought I was too kool for skool - the problem was, no-one else did!!

Also, remember, everyone is nervous starting College, even if they have loads of friends and even if they try to pretend they are not nervous.

Go to as many events as you possibly can.

They're the best year's of your life and you will be astonished at how quick it will fly - Good Luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

Don't worry, you'll be fine. I found it very easy to make friends there years ago.
    Enjoy freshers week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Join societies youre interested in. Team sport ones are good but if thats not youre thing then thats ok too.
    Corks a great city. Small but student friendly and welcoming.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I was in the same boat to you when I started college 5 years ago, going to college in the same city as friends of mine but not living near them.

Try to get involved and not isolate yourself, be sure to get involved with as many of the freshers activities that will be on offer in the first couple weeks. Scary as it might be you'll have to try and make an effort at times to do things like joining societies and going on nights out, if you're anxious then I can see how it's going to be scary but you'll have to make an effort for yourself

Depending on the distance you'll always have a place with your old friends, and with the various people you can meet in the first few weeks as well as the people in your course you'll have plenty of opportunity to meet new people and you should try to do that too, while also having the familiar net of your old friends. If you're living in purpose student accommodation you can be sure you won't be the only one going to UCC even if it's closer to CIT, there's a group of people you'll have something in common with in the same boat as you, it's a great starting point for a conversation if you're so far away, getting a conversation started can be the hardest part but once you get going it will get easier

Your college will have various counselling services available which can go underused, be sure to use them if you're having any issues

It will be scary at times being away for the first time especially if you already have issues with anxiety, try to remember that almost everyone feels that way even if they don't appear to show it or seem to be adapting to college life immediately

Most importantly of all, try to enjoy it and there's no reason you shouldn't if you make the effort to get involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

Both colleges are less than a 15min cycle from each other so your probably closer to them than you think.
    Stick both addresses into Google maps, good chance that their even walking distance apart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Annc999 wrote: »

I’m currently a student in UCC and was in your situation a couple of years ago.
    As previous posters have said, there are loads of clubs and societies and they will all be available to sign up to during Freshers week.
    Every first year student is also given a peer support mentor who will be in touch by email. This is just a 2nd or 3rd yr student who is available to give practical advice. Don’t be embarrassed to use it.
    Also during orientation and registration you will be put with people from your own course and EVERYBODY will be feeling a little lost and nervous not just you.

It might seem hard to imagine now but you are actually at an advantage living away from home during college term as it gives you the opportunity to really get involved in college life. It is those who have to commute daily from home who really lose out.
    UCC is a great place so take your time and settle in and go to as many of the workshops as you can. There are useful ones on the library, essay writing etc.
    Believe me these are invaluable as soon as the assignments start kicking in.

My final piece of advice would be not to go overboard on the social side of things as regards going out, drinking etc. Turn up to your classes and keep on top of your work as the semester is only 12 weeks. They cram a lot into it and it FLIES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

There's significant overlap between the two, they're on the same side of the City, unlike Galway.

&Join plenty of clubs/societies.
    (If you're planning on staying up for weekends look for ones that do excursions so you'll have friends at weekends. Nothing worse when everyone feck off home for the weekend to mammy for laundry and food (first years more so) .

Enjoy. It's a cliche, but college days may be the best days of your life!

Advertisement