Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offline CC/DC billing on Pub Trans

Options
  • 23-08-2018 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

So as I understand it from pervious threads the TFL system is:
    1. Credit/Debit presented at entry reader, transmitted at convenience back
    2. Credit/Debit presented at exit, transmitted same
    3. Some hours later transaction attempted with processor

This allows you to have the fast turnstyle/bus dwell times and avoids huge queues at choke points while one lads Swiss bank takes 90 seconds to auth the tx, etc.

The problem being the transaction may fail and TFL lose the £1.20 or whatever it is.

My question is can TFL black that card from repeat use (surely that lookup would be too onerous for embedded readers) or can those so inclined constantly use an expired/cancelled debit card to travel for free?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Note that some cards require real time 'online auth' (usually those with bad or no credit history) or they will not allow a transaction to take place, although some of the bigger card issuers are using some workarounds to get around this and some providers are allowing their cards to not require online auth for very small amounts but need it for higher amounts.

Despite popular belief to suggest otherwise, it is possible to have an online auth only contactless card, although in the UK most banks opt to either give full offline auth contactless cards to their customers and simply give the customers with poor credit rating a card without contactless at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

My question is more about what TFL are doing, not the merchant services providers (I have an N26 card which "instant" clears every tx).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Maybe they are blacking:
    Contactless bank cards differ from traditional credit and debit cards in
    that the information required by the bank for each transaction is not
    held on a magnetic strip, but on ‘smart chip’ held in the card. Dubbed
    ‘Wave and Pay’ by the industry, the chip is activated using a radio
    frequency when waved over a contactless reader. The reader then
    records the information and checks it against a ‘deny list’ provided by
    the banks.
    If approved, a message is sent to debit the customer’s
    account
    Non technical document: https://www.london.gov.uk/moderngov/documents/s7401/The%20Future%20of%20Ticketing%20-%20Appendix%201.pdf
    This probably wouldn't/couldn't include foreign banks.

Oh, having a deeper google on it Monzo (Disruptor Bank) say:
    This is almost always caused by unpaid fares on your card from TfL.

When this happens, TfL blacklist your card and ask you to get in touch with us.

So there is a fraud prevention system in place and if the NTA were to copy it (eventually) they'd only ever "take a hit" once or maybe twice. As soon as we can get away from the goddamn wayfarers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well they couldn't launch leap without being able to block leap cards. So I doubt this is something they'll skip by.

• Advertisement

A slightly different problem. NTA control the issuance of LEAP so at most the cohort is a few million cards. If you take the number of credit + debit cards in the world that's at least hundreds of millions of cards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Their system would still need to respond regardless of NFC device. I'd expect it to be the first thing they look to address once the finance arrangements are looking solid.

Advertisement