Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helping a friend through ivf

• 23-08-2018 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I hope you don't mind me posting here. I had lunch with a friend today and she told me she has been trying to conceive, has gone through an unsucessful round of IVF, starting another next week.
    My heart went out to her as I could see the emotional and physical toll it's taken on her. As long as I've known her she's wanted children and it's just proved how very unfair life can be. I wasn't sure exactly what to say to comfort her but I thought it could be nice to send her a little "spoil me" package for next week, a candle, nice chocolate, a face mask, that kind of stuff. She mentioned there was a lot of stuff she needed to avoid like cheese etc. So I'm not sure what to put in it if any of you have any advice or do you think it's appropriate at all. She said she's very emotional and I don't want to upset her further.
    Wishing you all the best of luck on your journey... It's the first time I've been close to somebody going through this and I can see how difficult it must be.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Fingersandtoes

What a lovely friend you are. I told one friend who wasn't at all supportive and another who was. You already sound like you are being supportive. It's a big deal for most sharing such personal information with someone else. Your ideas are excellent obviously no alcohol. Maybe some bath soak,her favorite packet of crisps in a six pack, flowers and anything small you think she may like. It's a lovely thoughtful idea. Your friend obviously trusts you while h is wonderful.

Everyone is very different. I found the hormones I was injecting daily messed with my head and my personality so I wasn't myself at all. It's a highly stressful time and emotionally and physically it can be very very difficult.

I hope you don't find it too upsetting and more than anything I hope she is successful

Advertisement