Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance and medical condition

Options
  • 23-08-2018 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I went to a doctor to get a medical form signed for car insurance. After examining my pulse she signed the form for a three year period instead of ten years.

Will this make it more difficult to get insurance in future or will it make insurance more expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Were you provided with a medical diagnosis on the basis of which she only signed for 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 backlane

It was a rapid heartbeat. I'm waiting for an appointment with a consultant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

It shouldn't affect insurance. Most companies just require that you have declared your medical condition to the licencing authority. You will have a note on your license saying renewal is subject to a medical report.

I have a medical condition the last six years. Had an annual licence for the first two years and then a three year and currently a five year. I will never get a ten year license again unfortunately.

But it's never affected my insurance premium.

Will I need to reveal the specific diagnosis to the insurance company or licensing authority?

backlane wrote: »
    Will I need to reveal the specific diagnosis to the insurance company or licensing authority?

Read their assumptions when signing up. Most will say something like "any medical condition has been notified to the licencing authority" in which case you don't need to.
    Some say "you do not have any medical conditions" so you'd have to call for a quote and declare the illness.
    But once the GP has given the ok to drive it should be fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You said in your first post that you needed to get the medical cert. for car insurance. Why did they ask for the cert in the first place? I'm assuming it was because you declared a medical condition.

As to the licensing authority, see the medical questions on the renewal form (PDF) ...

https://www.ndls.ie/images/Documents/DrivingLicence/D401_Full_Licence_app_form.pdf

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Should I contact the [/font]licensing authority immediately or wait until my current license expires? 

[font=Open Sans, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Should I contact the [/font]licensing authority immediately or wait until my current license expires? 

As soon as I was diagnosed I returned my licence with the medical form to the licencing authority and they reissued a new licence that was valid for a year noting the need for a medical to renew the license.
    I would imagine if your GP has given you the form that you should advise the licencing authority

ash23 wrote: »
    It shouldn't affect insurance. Most companies just require that you have declared your medical condition to the licencing authority. You will have a note on your license saying renewal is subject to a medical report.
    Read their assumptions when signing up. Most will say something like "any medical condition has been notified to the licencing authority" in which case you don't need to.

Are you saying that as long as you declare a medical condition to the licensing people, you do not have to mention it at all when taking out car insurance?

coylemj wrote: »
    Are you saying that as long as you declare a medical condition to the licensing people, you do not have to mention it at all when taking out car insurance?

If their assumptions state that you must have notified the licencing authority then once you've done that you need do no more.
    Some of them state "you do not have a medical condition" and in my experience when you ring and advise of the condition they ask if it's been notified and once it has, it's fine.

• Advertisement

If their assumptions state that you must have notified the licencing authority then once you've done that you need do no more.

So obviously if you do not have a medical condition, you don't need to tell the insurance. And if you do have a medical condition and inform the licensing people, you still don't have to tell the insurance.

In effect, what you're saying is that as long as you are honest with the licensing people and can get a licence, you can withhold information about any medical condition from your insurance company.

coylemj wrote: »
    So obviously if you do not have a medical condition, you don't need to tell the insurance. And if you do have a medical condition and inform the licensing people, you still don't have to tell the insurance.

In effect, what you're saying is that as long as you are honest with the licensing people and can get a licence, you can withhold information about any medical condition from your insurance company.

Yes, that's what I said. Once you've told the licencing authority, your GP then has to approve you as fit to drive in order to hold a license.
    Beyond that it has no impact on your insurance.

OPs GP has stated them fit to hold a three year license. OP needs to send licence and medical report to their licencing authority and get a new, three year license with it noted that license renewal is subject to medical.
    There should then be no need to declare it to the insurer. Insurance premium should also not be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You have to declare the exact details of any medical conditions that may affect your driving. Aviva, for instance have in their assumptions that you "Have no disability or medical condition that impairs your ability to drive"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Utmost good faith always applies imho. If there's anything that a reasonable insurer would need to know in the underwriting of your risk you are obliged to disclose it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you are honest with the licencing authority and they grant you with a licence to drive, then (IMO) you don't have a condition that affects your ability to drive and declare yourself accordingly to insurers

I email each insurer I've had to advise of the medical condition and they have all emailed back saying that once I've notified licencing authority they don't need to know.
    Since diagnosis I've been with AIG, Zurich and Axa

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

ash23 wrote:
    I email each insurer I've had to advise of the medical condition and they have all emailed back saying that once I've notified licencing authority they don't need to know. Since diagnosis I've been with AIG, Zurich and Axa

You've declared so you are good to go. Happy and safe driving.

You've declared so you are good to go. Happy and safe driving.

Point in that I didn't need to

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Notify the driving license authority and get a letter to say you are fit to drive from gp or consultant, All should be ok then.

Advertisement