Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upping satellite broadband speed

Options
  • 23-08-2018 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hi

I currently have satellite broadband. 10MB down & 3MB upload speeds.

Obviously in the evening this isn't achievable and stuff like IPTV and playing shows/films on firestick can be annoying as I'm only getting 2MB at the very best.

Could an increase to a 30MB package solve this where I could possibly get 6/7 during the evening.

I've nothing else available to me at the moment.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

When you say satellite do you actually mean satellite (in the sky) or fixed wireless with a dish to a hill somewhere?

If its actually satellite then its likely 30Mb and 10Mb both become 2Mb at peak. The way to avoid this is very very expensive packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

ED E wrote: »
    When you say satellite do you actually mean satellite (in the sky) or fixed wireless with a dish to a hill somewhere?

If its actually satellite then its likely 30Mb and 10Mb both become 2Mb at peak. The way to avoid this is very very expensive packages.

Apologies fixed wireless it is to a mast.

Does this make a difference?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You may have options then.

An antenna setup to pick up either Three 4G or Vodafone 4G might be viable (just because there's no coverage on ground level doesnt meant your chimney isn't getting blasted with high speed LTE) or Imagine or other WISPs might compete with your current provider.

This would be a good start:
    http://irelandoffline.org/map/#!/map

ED E wrote: »
    You may have options then.

An antenna setup to pick up either Three 4G or Vodafone 4G might be viable (just because there's no coverage on ground level doesnt meant your chimney isn't getting blasted with high speed LTE) or Imagine or other WISPs might compete with your current provider.

This would be a good start:
    http://irelandoffline.org/map/#!/map

Ok thanks for the info.

So upping to 30MB with current provider a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

BullBauld wrote: »
    Ok thanks for the info.

Depends on your provider. The 30mb package could be on a different contention ratio (i.e: At the moment you share your connection, hence it slows down in the evening when more people are using it. The 30mb could mean you share with less homes in the area.) But I wouldn't count on it being the case.

What provider are you with if you don't mind us asking? It's possible a representative of theirs could answer your question here on the forum.

• Advertisement

m99T wrote: »
    Depends on your provider. The 30mb package could be on a different contention ratio (i.e: At the moment you share your connection, hence it slows down in the evening when more people are using it. The 30mb could mean you share with less homes in the area.) But I wouldn't count on it being the case.

What provider are you with if you don't mind us asking? It's possible a representative of theirs could answer your question here on the forum.

Thanks for reply.

I'm with Eurona Brisknet in Roscommon. Haven't seen them on here mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Thanks for reply.

I'm with Eurona Brisknet in Roscommon. Haven't seen them on here mind.

Yeah unless they are changing your equipment in the house or giving different contention i'd just be staying where I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Ok thanks for the info.

As ED E said check your coverage, see the coverage map for Vodafone and Three,
    Guess which is better, go to one of them and get a router and sim card, try the router everywhere including the attic, if that is no good try the router outside the house and as high as you can, the higher the better.
    If you can receive a reasonable speed then either put the router whenever you get a good speed or buy the antenna below
    It works with Three router but I don't know if it works with Vodafone router, ask them.
    Vodafone will give you 2 weeks trial, Three don't, so make sure that you tell them if you don't get reasonable speed you don't get tied to 18 month contract.

If you get good speed with Vodafone but you need antenna and you couldn't find antenna to fit into their router, you can buy unlocked Huawei B525 Router from amazon, it isn't cheap but then you can use it for Vodafone and PAYG € 20 Three sim card "useful if you run out of allowance with vodafone"

Notice: the two antennae below both work, the first is stronger but it is directional. it has to be directed towards the mast
    The second one is one bar less but it is omnidirectional
    Note both has only 5 metre long cable which you can't extend "you loose the signal"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poynting-4G-XPOL-A0002-Polarised-Directional-Outdoor/dp/B00C1DGGKC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1535271926&sr=8-4&keywords=4g+lte+antenna

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poynting-4G-XPOL-A0001-Cross-Polarised-Antenna/dp/B00C1DGFPS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1535271926&sr=8-3&keywords=4g+lte+antenna

Advertisement