Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science teacher maths qualification

Options
  • 23-08-2018 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Has anyone experience of gaining a maths qualification to become teaching council recognised in the last number of years. The postgraduate diploma run from UL has finished this year. I am looking at open university as next option but would like some advice from someone who has gone down this path recently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

There is a long thread on OU maths. If you do a search you will find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭doc_17

I made several contributions to it having gone that way. Loads of good advice from many on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

As well as the degree modules, I think they now have to do teaching methodology modules, is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭doc_17

As well as the degree modules, I think they now have to do teaching methodology modules, is that correct?

Even if they are already a qualified teacher?

• Advertisement

There was some change in 2017 about completing methodologies, but I'm not sure on the requirements as my days of collecting extra subjects are very much over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Fairly sure its 5 credits you need in maths pedagogy along with the 60 maths credits required.
    I have no idea where you'd be able to do the pedagogy module.

There were a few big threads on the Voices for Teachers page on Facebook in the last few weeks on taking maths through open university. Have a search for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

doc_17 wrote: »
    Even if they are already a qualified teacher?

Well I suppose you can teach whatever extra subject you like in a school once youre qualified and registered in your main subject... "needs of the school"
    Some schools don't mind once you are registered in 1 subject they'd put you down to teach anything.
    Other schools won't let you teach any subject unless you're fully qualified in that subject.

So to get fully qualified in maths I presume you would have to do the methodologies same as every other recently qualified. But teaching council is the final decider.

Advertisement