Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying reclaimed solid wooden floor over existing floor

Options
  • 23-08-2018 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm planning on putting reclaimed solid hardwood floorboards (not engineered boards) over an existing wooden floor. Existing floor looks relatively new and is in good condition for use as a subfloor. It does however sit on joists over a clay subfloor. House is around 200 years old.

Because of this I've been looking for the highest tog underlay suitable for solid flooring. FineFloor Techni Board seems to be the best out there. The advice I got from a supplier for fitting it is to fix battens to the subfloor, fit the fibreboard between them and then just fix the new floor to the battens.

Should I be concerned that the battens may compromise the insulation or would the loss be negligible?

Could I reduce the loss with the choice of material for battens? Plenty of tools so can rip ply/chipboard etc into battens if they'd prove a better insulator than deal or the like.

Or is there a completely different way to fit the new floor with a better overall performance? Note: Apart from aesthetics I reclaimed the boards myself so it's a lot cheaper to do this than go with new carpets etc.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thermal conductivity declines as the density of the wood decreases meaning that ply would have a higher thermal conductivity that a less dense natural timber.

So not to say its not negligible but choose the timbers to increase performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Cheers Listermint, was leaning that way as with timber have the added benefit of fine tuning through the thicknesser to match the fibreboard height.

Good to see the thermal performance is better as well

Thanks

Advertisement